Macbook ruining network performance

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dopefries, Dec 2, 2009.

1. dopefries macrumors newbie

Hello, I got a phone call today asking me to visit a superyacht in France to help them with a network issue. I only live around the corner so its not absurd. I just want to get some ideas before I go, so I've a better chance of solving it.

The problem is simple. They have a wireless network, which runs fine, and performance has been checked with online tests. One of the crew owns a macbook, and as soon as he connects to the network, the performance tests show the speed drop dramatically, and then stop.

Apparently there is no software running on the offending terminal (bar the OS).

I'm going to check the Activity Monitor to see if its hogging bandwidth, and maybe run little snitch to catch anything before it can call home.

Any help, or past experience with this will help me a great deal so I dont look like an idiot on a fancy expensive boat.

Cheers, Dave

2. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Hi,
    well do as you said. Check the bandwidth usage on the MBP. If there is a lot of it bandwidth it's probably the cause of your problem. You could use this tool to see which connection uses the bandwidth.