Macbook Running A Little Slow

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gillilandboy, Sep 19, 2007.

1. gillilandboy macrumors 6502

Hello All,

I have a macbook (black) it is about 5 months old and it is starting to run a little slugish not bad but just a little slow. I was wondering if there was a little app out there that would clean it up and make it run a little better.

Thanks.

2. AlexisV macrumors 68000

AlexisV

Yes there is! Look for a free program called Onyx and use it to clear out your caches etc.

3. jcipin macrumors newbie

MacBook slowing down? Try Safe Boot

I've had a MacBook for about 13 months. A few months ago (can't remember exactly when) it seemed to be running slower than it used to. I use it to run only really standard stuff: Microsoft Office, Mail, Safari, etc. No Photoshop or After Effects and the like. I was pretty sure that the slowdown was caused by upgrading to 10.4.9 or 10.4.10. I tried alot of recommended "fixes." Onyx, Cocktail, Disk Warrior, resetting PRAM and more. All of which are useful, don't get me wrong, but they didn't deal with the slowdown issue. I did one more Google search this morning under "macbook running slow". I came across a post on Macenstein that I hadn't seen before. The recommendation: SAFE BOOT! Doh! Forgot about that one. Start up your Mac while holding down the Shift key. Believe it or not, that seems to have done the trick. It's probably one of those things that should be tried for any system-wide sort of ailment.

4. shrewsburywolf macrumors regular

shrewsburywolf

Wicked!! That solved my problem with my powerbook not turning off! I force shut my machine down, restarted it holding the shift button (it took forever to startup again) when it did start up in safe boot it shut down fine using the shut down menu and now starts up and shuts down normally!!

Cheers for the hint!!