Macbook Running Hot / Fan Issues - Please help!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by worldservice, Aug 5, 2011.

1. worldservice macrumors newbie

[​IMG]

So I left my computer on last night, and woke up in the middle of the night to hear the fan running insanely loud - sounded more like a motor than a fan. Shut the computer down and left it until morning. When I boot up the computer now the fan starts almost immediately when the OS comes up. This is how the running temperature currently looks.

Question 1: Looking at the specs in the pic above -- does the CPU temperature look normal for the amount of system resources being used? I had no programs open at the time the picture was taken.

Question 2: I have noticed the problem with coreaudio hanging. Could this be causing high system resource usage? How could I resolve this? I have some leftover processes from old installations of Pro Tools and Flip camera sharing, but don't know how to permanently get rid of these processes - they are autostarting with the computer.

Question 3: Even if I do have a lot of background system usage, the computer is still running hotter than it should be given the circumstances, right? Am I right in thinking this primarily a hardware issue?

I have already reset the SMC and it did not fix the issue.

My computer is still running at about the same specs that you saw in the screenshot.

I have the computer sitting on a couple of books about 6 inches off the bed, so it is not lacking for ventilation.

The fan does not sound insanely loud right now, it sounds normal.

Thanks for your help!

- George

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

Looking at the graph, you have about 100% CPU usage (out of 200%). You're sorting by memory usage, though, so we can't see what's chewing up your processor time. Also, with that much processor usage, yes, it's normal for the machine to be hot.

3. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Looks more like a print job that is not finished or something - is it a HP 1400 printer that is using 99.5% !!!!!

Kill the print job and start again.....

4. handel30 macrumors member

Do you set your mac to go to sleep after a while when not in use? If I leave mine on for more than half an hour without use, it goes to sleep and cools down.