MacBook running slow and glitchy.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by smithbro, Oct 4, 2009.

1. smithbro macrumors newbie

My black macbook is just about 2 years old and it now runs very slow most of the time and also has errant glitches. I have never cleaned anything or attempted cache dumping either. Any suggestions?

2. b01189 macrumors member

it's a simple thing but...

Have you been running updates? ....and what version of the OSX are you running?

3. smithbro thread starter macrumors newbie

I am not running any updates. And I have the 2007 version of OS X

4. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Run software update, clear your caches, do a PRAM/SMC reset, run disk utility and repair your permissions...also verify your drive whilst at it.

5. KielderWolf macrumors regular

KielderWolf

To the OP, no disrespect meant but from your description of the "2007 version of OSX" I'm prepared to guess that more than a little of what Daneoni has correctly suggested may seem confusing.

Software Updates provide many stability fixes, so you should always keep up to date with them. Apple Menu > Software Update. If you have a slower connection at home and SU gives you a long list of updates, you may want to find somewhere with faster internet speeds.

PRAM reset:
    Turn on or restart the computer.
    When you hear the chime, press and hold command+option+P+R until you hear a second chime.
    The computer will reboot.

SMC reset:
    Turn off the computer.
    Remove the AC power cord and battery.
    Press and hold the Power button for five seconds.
    Reinsert AC power cord and battery.
    Turn on the computer.

Disk Utility is usually found in ~ > Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility.

Select your Hard Drive from the list and to the lower left there are options to Verify Permissions and after you have done that to Repair them. You can also Verify and Repair general sectors of the disk to the lower right.

Hope that made things a bit simpler, good luck, Wolf ∑:•p

6. smithbro thread starter macrumors newbie

Can't get past the blinking question mark!

Hey, I have my daughters macbook in front of me finally. This morning I tried delving into your suggestions and before I started, I had to leave with the family. When I got back home the computer was dead. Plugged the charger in and now I get a blank screen with a blinking question mark. Reset the PRAM, tried restarting with the OSX disc with C, and then D, nothing. Still have the same problem. Right now I have the thing off and charging, will try to restart later. Double checked your suggestions through the t-shoot section in the manual to make sure I was following correctly. No luck.