Macbook Running Slow

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by andrewmonkey, Oct 19, 2011.

1. andrewmonkey macrumors newbie

hey I have a macbook with leopard on it. I use it in my church for editing videos and designing images.

I used to be a pc user so I bought an external hard drive an moved alot of my files over. I filled up the 200gb HD and after moving things I now have only 66gb of space.

My question is where are the rest of the files that are eating up my HD and what can I do to speed up the macbook?

I have 1.03 gb of system memory free.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Use Disk Inventory X or Grand Perspective to see how space is being used on your drive.

Launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes". Then look to see what may be consuming system resources.

3. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

4. andrewmonkey thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, what happens when I see what is taking up space? When I changed to all processes my free memory went down to 900 something mb.

How can i shut down processes and how do i do that?

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Free memory isn't the whole picture. You don't have to do anything about how your memory is used. Mac OS X manages memory quite well, with no need for user intervention.

Mac OS X: Reading system memory usage in Activity Monitor
    First, you shouldn't shut down any process unless you know what it is and how vital it is. You can select a process and use Quit on the menu, if needed. More importantly than quitting processes is to look at which ones, if any, are putting excessive demands on your CPU. If none are, leave them alone.

Look at what apps and widgets you have running. Quit any that you don't need. Look at System Preferences > Accounts > your account > Login Items and remove any you don't need to launch on startup.

6. andrewmonkey thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, any more tips and/or tricks. I have thought about defrag-ing the HD.

Also sorry about the repeat sentence.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You don't need to defrag a Mac HD, except for a few isolated reasons, such as in some cases when partitioning a drive.

About disk optimization with Mac OS X

8. LeandrodaFL macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

Friend, once you get your hard drive full, your system slows down. Thats a mechanical caracteristic of HDDs. Even after erasing and having lots of GB available again, your mac will no longer have the same speed as before, because the hard drive works in a slower speed. Its a hardware condition, period.

Having said that, all you need to do is uprade your hard drive. Get a SSD and you will regreat not doing it before. Since you gonna open up your mac, get also a RAM upadte, as its insanelly cheap nowadays.

9. andrewmonkey thread starter macrumors newbie

10. LeandrodaFL macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

Super savy disk

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Google is your friend: SSD