Macbook running slow.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by otep1760, Apr 16, 2008.

1. otep1760 macrumors regular

otep1760

hey guys, my macbook is 2ghz with 2gb of ram. it came with an 80gb hard drive and i recently installed a new 120gb hard drive, and since then i have noticed my macbook running quite a bit slower, mostly in safari. sometimes it will just not load the page unless i wait about 45 seconds or so. the progress bar doesnt move unless i wait awhile.
    i never had this problem before i installed the new hard drive, but i think it is just a timing coincidence.

it does this if i whether i have apps running in the background or not, most of the time i dont, other than iChat.

is there any ways for me to troubleshoot and see what may be causing the problem? or does anyone have any ideas?

thanks for any help.

2. BlackMax macrumors 6502a

BlackMax

Have you tried a different browser (Firefox perhaps) as a comparison to see if your performance issues might be Safari specific?

I'm using FireFox 3.0b5 and I find it very responsive.

3. otep1760 thread starter macrumors regular

otep1760

yes, firefox is much better than safari, i just dont like the way firefox scrolls. i know thats stupid, but its strange. it seems a lot less smooth.

why would only safari be running slow? i thought safari was supposed to be one of the fastest browsers for mac?

4. BlackMax macrumors 6502a

BlackMax

I've read that clearing your cache can sometimes significantly improve the speed and performance of your browser. You can clear your Safari cache by going to the menu bar in Safari and selecting:

Safari -> Empty Cache...

5. otep1760 thread starter macrumors regular

otep1760

that seems to help a bit. thanks