Macbook running SLOW

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tfulmino, Jun 10, 2009.

1. tfulmino macrumors newbie

Hello.

My wife's Macbook is running VERY slow. She is not a power user - basic surfing, email, etc. The specs on the laptop are pretty good - Core2 w/ 1.5 gig ram. The problem is the round beach balls pops up often and just cripples the computer. I have tried to clean the machine; however, I have had no luck.

Do I need to reinstall the OS?

Thanks in advance!

2. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

3. tfulmino thread starter macrumors newbie

I downloaded a utility online, not Onyx, which cleans up permissions, etc. Nothing has changed. Does Onyx work well?

4. killswitch1698 macrumors regular

I dunno if this may be the problem but your computer is either on its last leg because its so old, or you might have to do some software updates. or you could just add more RAM :p

5. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

6. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

You don't need a utility to correct the permissions. Apple provides this for you., Just click on Utilities and then on Disk Utility. Then you choose your hard drive on the left and then click on "Repair Disk Permissions".

Cheers.

7. benkenobi macrumors member

8. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

Hawkeye is right about you repairing permissions. I didn't recommend the ONYX utility for that. It is worth a look at.

9. tfulmino thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all your help! I will try out the suggestions. Hopefully I am able to improve performance a little bit... she has been drooling over my MBP. :eek: