Macbook & Samsung = so happy together?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by anappleseed, Mar 30, 2008.

1. anappleseed macrumors newbie

Hi everyone!!! First time poster.

I have a black macbook connected to a Samsung 42 HDTV. I bought the DVI-HDMI cable; however, I cannot get any audio.

I tried a aux cable 6' from the laptop to the headphone jack on the television and that didn't work. I have my laptop to the TV picture is perfect, and the audio to some speakers near the TV and it works great - But it's not the TV speakers.

What else can I try, any ideas? The TV has the red/yellow options on the back, it also has a "PC" part but it's not for a mac, it has head phone jack, a s-video (it's a circle) and um I think that's about it.

Please help - thanks a bunch!

2. Jpoon macrumors 6502

Use this thing from the headphone jack into a red/white audio input on your TV, but make sure that it's the audio input that corresponds to the HDMI port you're plugging into.

The thing that you might be running into is that certain video inputs on your TV are paired with certain audio channels as well. The Macbook to HDMI adaptor obviously doesn't do both video and sound from a MacBook. So, there's always the possibility that Samsung didn't consider this as a problem (assuming that any device being plugged in would provide both the audio and sound and not be adapted).

So, if that seems to be the problem, get something like the link I posted, and if it still doesn't work, then go get the Mini DVI to DVI cable and pair it with the 1/8" (3.5mm) headphone to phono. If you have DVI in on your TV then it should definitely have a red/white phono input paired with it, because DVI is obviously only a video input connection.

Hope this helps!

3. lil' brudder macrumors 6502

it sounds like ur trying to get audio into your tv via the 3.5mm jack which actually isn't an input most likely... I have seen many a tv with a headphone jack on the back which is used for audio output. You need to use the rca (red and white) jacks marked as input, and it should solve your problem

4. anappleseed thread starter macrumors newbie

Ohhhh Thank you sooooooooooo much i'm going to radio shack in the morning and getting that y-splitter....Thank you soooooo much!

When I bought the HDMI cables at Best Buy I went back about the audio they had NO idea they told me to get the aux cable. They have jackasses working there (well in the location by my house)

Thanks a mil!

5. ginger.al@gmail macrumors newbie

The reason why you didn't get the sound because DVI only transmit video, and not audio. That is the only differences between HDMI and DVI. They both have the same kind of video signal.

Like the other poster said, all you need is the Y splitter to output from your headphone jack, and input the RCA (white and red cable) to your TV.

6. Jpoon macrumors 6502

Yeah, they just wanted you to buy a 30+ dollar cable... XD....
    Mostly it's just 18 year old college / high-school kids that have no idea what they're talking about. It's a clerk job :(.

There really aren't many chain electronics stores that you can get personal help with anymore. Places like RadioShack claim they're doing that, but most of the time they're just training their employees with general knowledge that any person could find out by simply reading a product manual or some light Googlin'.

Only reason I suggested RadioShack for the cable is due to the fact that most people are near one (at least in the continental U.S.). And they almost always have stuff like that in stock hehe...

Glad to help you out here though! It's going to look amazing on that Samsung :3.

7. Uoila macrumors member

connection types

You may have this problem solved by now but what everybody has said so far is correct. HDMI runs audio and video on the same cable so your TV expects the audio from the HDMI which the original DVI obviously didn't provide.

The suggestion for the RCA to mini jack cable might work if your TV allows the mini jack input and HDMI connections to be used together, but they usually aren't set up like that. The "headphone" jack that you mentioned earlier probably isn't a headphone jack since that implies that its an OUTPUT and unless it has the little horseshoe icon designating that it is a headphone jack, then it is probably an INPUT.

This input mini jack on many HDTVs is paired with the "PC" connection that you mentioned before which is actually a VGA connection.

If all else fails, replace your macbook MINI-DVI -> DVI adapter with a MINI-DVI -> VGA adapter and connect to the TVs VGA port along with the "Y cable" mentioned earlier.

I hope that didn't confuse you. If you have any more questions, please ask.

8. d33f3r macrumors newbie

AAARGGHHH!!! Samsung / MBP 15" ISSUES!?!?!?!

Ok guys, i have a 42" plasma samsung tv, 2005 so there's no HDMI just DVI, i bought a DVI to HDMI cable because i already had the mini-Displayport to HDMI adapter, when i connect them all up i get a NO SIGNAL display on my tv screen and no sign of an external monitor according to my macbook pro.. can anyone explain what i'm missing?!!? PLEASE?!?!?!