MacBook says it is plugged in and "(Not Charging)" while *unplugged*

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Atephore, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Atephore macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I'm not sure if this is should be in hardware or software, so I apologize if this is in the wrong catagory.
    I have a "5,1" Late 2008 Aluminum MacBook
    2.0 Ghz
    2 gb RAM
    I just replaced the stock 160gb hard drive with a 500 gb Seagate.
    Everything is working perfectly except for one odd issue:
    While plugged in, the MacBook says it is charging normally and appears to actually be doing so. However, when I unplug it, it shows the plug icon on the battery as it does at 100% charge and says "(Not Charging)". Power management wise it also behaves as if it is plugged in. So, as you can imagine that is quite annoying as it doesn't dim / sleep when it should if left sitting and I can't see my battery % when it is unplugged.

I have looked EVERYWHERE on the net to no avail. The MacBook is no longer under warranty so no dice there. I have also checked my energy settings as well as reset the SMC.

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. Atephore thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah, I was adding that to the post as you replied lol. No dice on the SMC reset. :-/
    Thanks for the reply though.

3. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Make a new user and see if it still happens...

4. Atephore thread starter macrumors newbie

No luck with the new user. I also tried resetting the nvram/pram.

5. x00JuGGiE00x macrumors newbie

I think i know the problem.

This happened to me before, once it was because my mac was too hot. I let it cool down then charged it and seemed to work, if that doesn't seem to be the case. It tends to work if you remove the battery and placing it back in. Hope this helped.

6. Pax macrumors 6502a

7. Atephore thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried pulling the battery and replacing it. No luck. It's been fine heat wise. I haven't swapped the drive back yet but I don't see how the hard drive itself could cause that... :-/

8. Atephore thread starter macrumors newbie

Could this in some way mean my MagSafe port is going bad? I noticed my charger light doesn't come on sometimes as well.

9. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

I don't know whether this may help, but I would update anyway.

10. Atephore thread starter macrumors newbie

11. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Really? That was my only idea....sorry. I just thought the update was relevant.

12. Atephore thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply anyhow. It doesn't have a problem charging. It's the issues when it isn't plugged in.

13. Atephore thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, I just got on the computer and clarified. That update is only for the white MacBook. The latest for this one is apparently 1.3.

14. sikheid macrumors newbie

I have the exact same problem as you, Atephore, and it's interisting howyou note that you recently changed your HD. I did the same thing but I never imagined it being the cause of this. Did you solve the problem? I'm find myself having to check the battery by pressing the buttons underneath which is not exactly ideal.

15. Atephore thread starter macrumors newbie

I have since come to the conclusion that the MagSafe power controller is bad. Apple wants $109 to replace it.

16. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

For future reference, NVRAM/PRAM has nothing to do with battery, power or charging issues.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions: Apple Notebook Battery FAQ

17. Atephore thread starter macrumors newbie

That is funny/sad then, because when I took it to the Apple store, the "Genius" even tried to reset it, lol. #GeniusFail

18. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Sadly, "Genius" is only their job title, and not indicative of their knowledge or intelligence!

Mac OS X: What's stored in PRAM
    When to reset NVRAM or PRAM

19. Atephore thread starter macrumors newbie

Indeed! They kept insisting on repeating the tests I had done. I told them it was the MagSafe controller when I first came in and they were all stumped! Low and behold they finally came to that conclusion after half an hour.

20. BastianDrake macrumors newbie

Same here

I have the same exact problem! I've tried everything you've tried and have had no luck, I'm going to replace my hard drive in a few days. I'll let you know if that works.