MacBook Screen a Dirt Magnet?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by philipxz, Mar 22, 2009.

1. philipxz macrumors regular

philipxz

It's not really dirt on my screen but these white things that's all over my screen, I don't know what they are, but I can get it off.

I use the microfiber cloth that came with my MacBook to take out any of my fingerprints and occasionally my saliva :p if it comes contact with my screen whenever I see them. Sometimes I use a damp Kleenex too, then the microfiber cloth. After 5 minutes or so these white spots appear on my screen, you can only see them if my MacBook is in sleep mode or off.

I don't know what they are and I don't know what could've made them because I just cleaned my screen a few minutes before.

And I'm tired of getting them off because they just keep coming back. And they're not from the Kleenex because sometimes I use the microfiber cloth alone.

My MacBook has been only a couple of weeks old and I love it. And then I run into this issue today. I have stopped cleaning it for now.

2. zorahk macrumors 6502

Wet the cloth that came with the computer and wipe in one direction to remove stuff.

3. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

Looks like the paper dust from the Kleenex that's being left behind, but the shot is blurry so I can't tell for sure. When it's damp it's hard to see but as the water evaporates the white dust will be left behind.

It's better to use a damp microfibre cloth instead of damp kleenex to avoid this residue.

4. philipxz thread starter macrumors regular

philipxz

No it's not from the Kleenex paper dust. Because if they're paper dust I could easily blow them off. They're like little smudges but I don't know where they are from.

5. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

I just carefully inspected my screen with a flashlight and don't have the same smudges. All I have are tiny specs of dust that I can blow/wipe off.

What happens if you gently rub one of those smudges with a damp microfibre cloth. Do they go away when wet and then come back in the same place as before? Or do they appear in different areas? If they come back in the same area or can't be removed it might actually be a scratch.

6. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

I get them quite a bit on my screen as well. They're like "stuck" to the screen, but come off with the microfiber cloth with my fingernail pressing across them. I think it's just dust/moisture collecting, as my old iBook would have that happen too after a period of time.

7. philipxz thread starter macrumors regular

philipxz

I really don't need a dampened microfiber to get them off but they just keep coming back. And that's a really good question because I've never thought of seeing them in the same place. I'll test it tomorrow.

Are you from the U.K.? "Microfibre" :p

8. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

I get the exact same thing in random places on the screen. So does my girlfriend with her glossy panel HP laptop, and my G4 iBook did as well.

9. philipxz thread starter macrumors regular

philipxz

Yeah, I don't think I will get them in the same spots either but I'll have to see tomorrow. :confused:

Yes, really...

10. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

ya rly?! :D

11. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

No wai!

If another person has gotten the same smudges you should be okay. Maybe it's something in the climate/air around your area. As long as the things don't come back in the exact same place, you should be fine.

12. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

I see what you did there...

I think for me it's because the apartment gets cold over night + dust in the air...I've grown used to it

13. philipxz thread starter macrumors regular

philipxz

Well let's see I was in my dad's house when I had this issue. You're maybe right it might be where he lived because I didn't have this problem here where I live, but I also didn't have this problem the last time I was there.

I'm going to clean it right and see how it goes. If it comes back then maybe the little spots are coming from the microfiber, but how, I mean how can a microfiber make those little spots? If it doesn't come back it means the problem was coming from where my dad live.

OK, I'll get you guys updated in a few minutes...
    :D:D

14. philipxz thread starter macrumors regular

philipxz

I just cleaned it and right my screen is spotless.

15. philipxz thread starter macrumors regular

philipxz

No spots till now. So it was the climate or whatever.

16. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Sorry to see that; looks like you need to clean it once an hour then. :p

17. Nocturnal22 macrumors 6502

18. petermcphee macrumors 6502a

petermcphee

I would try the cleansing power of Selsun Blue, because that looks like dandruff to me.