Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JK.online

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2006
Hi guys,

I received my replacement Macbook 2.0GHz white from Apple but the screen seems to come up a little short compared to the base of the laptop. I was just wondering if this is the case with everyone else?

What the situation is is the monitor seems to be in line with the case on the left hand side of the laptop, yet on the right hand side it seems to come up a bit short. I was just wondering if this is the case on other people's Macbooks.

I took a photo but it's quite tough to see it.

dsc01659mf2.jpg

I'm not whinging about it because everything else on the Macbook is fantastic, but I just wanted to check to see if other people had the same thing going on...

Cheers

JK.online

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2006
Hmmm... damn.

Anyone else got a Macbook that has a similar issue?

Though on second look, it seems about 2-3mm back from the case on the right hand side, but the left hand side is perfectly flush with the case...

scott523

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Saint Charles, MO
Hmmm... damn.

Anyone else got a Macbook that has a similar issue?

Though on second look, it seems about 2-3mm back from the case on the right hand side, but the left hand side is perfectly flush with the case...
Yea I got the same poorly positioned hinge and you're right about the LCD case protruding from the back, which explains the shortness look in the front.

tjm337

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2006
Ibook and Macbook have had this problem

I had a ibook G4 that had this problem and I sent it in, but they said it was within tolerances. So I sold it. Then I purchased a macbook sent it in for repairs and it came back the same way. Except on my macbook, the overhang is on the left side. I am trying to ignore it but I might bring it to an apple store to see what they say.

Cheers

JK.online

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2006
Well, it's a replacement for my first Macbook (which I received a week ago) which had a dud keyboard...

This is still within it's 14 day period (I'm not sure if that applies to replacements though) - should I call Apple and see what they say? Realistically it's not a big problem - a few mm on the right hand side of the case isn't that significant, considering everything else works, though of course - it would be nice to have a perfect Macbook!

Is it something they can easily fix or if I get the opportunity should I allow them to replace it?

Cheers again guys

JK.online

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2006
Here are some updated images of what the situation is...

Should I give Apple another call to get it exchanged? Just wondering what you fellow Macbook users think of the problem... It sounds like I should get it replaced now because apparently they won't repair it according to TJM...

hmmm.... any thoughts?

Attachments

• done.jpg
    done.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 156
  • done2.jpg
    done2.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 148
  • done3.jpg
    done3.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 181

Pojo

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2006

Should I give Apple another call to get it exchanged? Just wondering what you fellow Macbook users think of the problem... It sounds like I should get it replaced now because apparently they won't repair it according to TJM...

hmmm.... any thoughts?

Jesus, so it's a few mm short? How the hell is that such a big problem to have it replaced? Live with it, man.

Star Destroyer

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2006
my Macbook CD 1.83 is pretty solid except the left side has, i guess, a bubble, where it makes the screen look short. If i push on the base it bends back in place, sooo i am hoping it gets fixed when i get my new palm rests, so basically it looks the same as yours, but the whole side isnt off, just like a 3 CM strip then it bends back to perfect.. its odd, but i love it. things like that show you care about your macbook, like i have embraced my lids scratches cause it shows how much i use my machine :D

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2006
Jesus, so it's a few mm short? How the hell is that such a big problem to have it replaced? Live with it, man.

If you pay apple $1200+ for a computer, it sure as hell better be perfect in my opinion!

I say ask for another replacement, especially if it bothers you

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2004
I dont know if this is a concern of the OP, but IMHO i think the macbook screen is to short in height. As far as viewing angle is concerned. :D

Pojo

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2006
If you pay apple $1200+ for a computer, it sure as hell better be perfect in my opinion!

I say ask for another replacement, especially if it bothers you

it is in perfect condition, this guys just being picky.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level

hmmm.... any thoughts?

dude mines like that that too. does it affect the performance....no. is it something you have to look for...yes. so what is your reasoning to get it replaced honestly. nothing in the manufacturing world is perfect. get used to it

by the way im sure you could do the same thing with your car and no car dealership in their right mind would let you swap out a car if the defect did not hinder performance.

sometimes consumers expect too much and this is definitly an instance of that

i wish mine was flush but in no way is it worth complaining about in my opinion

khunsanook

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2006
East Asia
I also had the same misalignment problem after my macbook came back from service. It's very slight though and causes no problems. Also have a slightly protruding left side where the dummy screws are but big deal, the computer works great.

vega07

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2006
I believe laptops in general should be near perfectly flushed, and the op's macbook is not well aligned.

but if you can live with it, do so. if not, try to get a replacement.

Tork

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2006
If the display isn't loose or anything, be happy this is your only problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.