Macbook Screen Backlight Problem - With Video

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by FunkyFunked, Oct 27, 2010.

1. FunkyFunked macrumors newbie

Hey Guys,

My Macbook (v 2.1. CPU Intel 2x 2,1 GHZ, mid-late 2008) got no Backlight, and it sucks.
    First to know: I have no warranty left, I went to an apple store and they told me that I'd have to pay 700 to 1000 Euros so that they'd repair my screen. For that cost I'd rather buy a new macbook.

So I want to repair it myself.

3 months ago my screen startet flickering --- I read a lot about it in different forums and found ot that it's a common problem. It didn't bothered me because I could work fine with the flickering. So I did nothing and now it got worse:

The backlight still works, but only for about 1 sec and then the screen darks out. I can slightly see everything on the screen if I use a flashlight... If I want backlight again (of course only for one second...) i need to turn the backlight off (lowest brightness) and then on again (first brightness point). Then it will work again for about a second. If I switch permanently I got kinda disco backlight :)

External monitors work without any problems.

Another thing i recognised is that there is no more difference between the brightness level I configure with the F1 and F2 Button on the Macbook. So, there is only dark or light, no brighness control at all, even if the screen shows level 5 brightness, it's the same as level one.

I replaced the inverted, and it changed nothing.
    Now I need if it would help if I'd pelace the entire LCD Screen or if it has nothing to do with the screen itself but with something else. I'm thinking of a cable or something...

Because it's hard to describe i made a video of what is going on with the screen (opened), there are sparks and stuff and it burns something in the lower left corner of the screen... and it gets really hot :( In the video I constantly turn the screen backlight on and you can see that it turns itself off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxqVmtQXIuA

What do you think I need to repair? Thanks for your help,
    sincerely, Tobi

2. kadoug macrumors newbie

Screen backlights intermittently

Hi - I'm trying to solve this screen issue for my 2007 MacBook: usually I can get the backlight to come on after pushing it back and forth and finally finding a spot where it seems to stay on. However, often this means the laptop is only open at a 45 degree angle or so -- so it's not convenient at all.

Is this worth fixing?

KD

3. session101 macrumors regular

the one in the video looks like a loose connection, you are pressing on keys directly above the connector piece on your logic board that powers your backlight

either replace the cable or service your logic board

don't be lazy, just open up your topcase and take a look

4. hp88 macrumors newbie

Hi

I have the same problem as you, luckily for me I still have apple care until march 2012. I have listed the items below apple have ordered to fix the problem, hopefully it might be some use to you. Seeing that you have already replaced the inverter board I would say try replacing the cable.

[​IMG]

5. Lawsson macrumors newbie

I have the very same issue with the sparking coming from the bottom left when bezel is removed, just wondering if you fixed it yet?

I replaced inverter board and inverter cable, still having the same issue, guessing I replace the screen next...

6. spacedrabbit macrumors member

goodness...! something is shorting out... and the only thing on that side of the display is an antenna cable, but not directly there.

the LVDS cable runs through the back and through the right hinge to the logic board. The cable that supplies power to the display is on the right side of the display, it runs through the inverter which is in the display clutch cover. From there the inverter cable runs through the left hinge on to the logic board.

you may need to replace the display. check the cables for exposed wiring, especially around the hinges