MacBook screen blank

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by 7itanium, May 18, 2013.

1. 7itanium macrumors member

SO I took my 2007 white macbook apart to replace the Superdrive

was extremely careful and made sure everything was put back properly

now when I boot the macbook I just get a black screen.. but the power is on and the computer sounds like it is working

I tried booting it with the shift key held down.. and after 1-2 minutes the screen turned white so I know the backlight is good and the LCD works

any ideas?

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Sounds like you must have missed the connector from LB to screen...or it worked loose when you put the Mac back together....There's only one way to check...Open it up again.

3. 7itanium thread starter macrumors member

I have it apart right now and I see no loose connections... the cable that goes to the display looks absolutely fine

im at a loss

4. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

There might be some dust in between the connector, clean it with a small brush.

If you have a monitor I would also try to connect it to the monitor, if you get output there your Logic Board is OK.

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Maybe a crimped or damaged cable comes to mind...sometimes it's impossible to tell. As long as you were grounded when doing the repair, I can't see how you could have fried the GPU, but that's what comes to mind next.

6. 7itanium thread starter macrumors member

now I got the display to work... but it isnt right.. its all red and orange and not displaying the proper colors

7. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I think that it's two possibles now....A bad GPU, or ( hopes ) a bad cable...Over time, those cables can become brittle inside...you'd never know by looking, but a replacement shouldn't cost too much....hope it's not your GPU.:)

8. 7itanium thread starter macrumors member

if I plug it into an external display and it works does that mean its likely the cable?

I have 2-3 parts units that I can get a cable off of

9. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Yes, if the internal GPU will display correctly on another monitor the odds are that you just damaged the cable....A replacement should do the trick...Let us know how you go...:)

10. 7itanium thread starter macrumors member

I never figured out the problem but I did get it working

I went to plug it into a monitor and test it and the screen just started working

who knows