MacBook screen bleached out?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bluedoggiant, Dec 8, 2007.

1. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

i was comparing it to my new iMac 24 2.8 GHZ, well actually the MB is newer, got the imac 3 weeks ago, macbook this morning, i found out that the screen on the macbook is bleached out, i know its not supposed to be equal to that of the imac, but the colors are bleached!!!!! and the brightness is lower than usual, the ones in the store are brighter!

2. Built macrumors 68020

Just got back from looking over the MBs at Best Buy and they, too, looked washed out.

Is this a problem with the SR chipset?

3. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

dont ask me lol, i just saw that, ive known that, but now its bugging me after looking at my gorgeous 24 inch (in the signature)

4. Built macrumors 68020

In another thread, somebody said to go to System Preferences---> Universal Access, then adjust the slider to enhance the color.

I don't have my MB yet so I don't know. :)

5. Rotary8 macrumors regular

close. it's the contrast. bump it up a bit. makes a bit of a difference. My mbp duocore looks better still... it could be a software issue (i'm hoping) but honestly it doesn't look too bad.

6. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Yeah, the contrast adjustment is fun. Just don't take it up too much, or things start to look odd.

7. California King macrumors 65816

I think it's the screen that they use of MB's. They just suck. My friend just bought a $600 HP laptop and the screen is just phenomenal. You gotta pay more for a better screen from Apple. MBP's are decent, but still suck. The iMacs on the other hand look awesome.

BTW, I tried the contrast thing on my Macbook and it just looks like you're making colors darker. IMO, it makes it worse.

8. mckyvlle macrumors 6502a

9. Built macrumors 68020

I was set to buy my MB this week, but the bleached out screen really has me thinking twice. Between keyboard problems, bleached out screen, etc., I am not so sure about getting an MB anymore.

I know people on here love them. It would be my first Mac and I was very excited about getting one but the MB, based on what I am reading here, and what I saw in the store, sounds like a real problem.

I've already gotten the spire bag, the speck shell and the wireless mouse, but those can all go back if I don't decide to buy.

Am I being too sensitive to the problems? The bleached out look of the screen last night really turned me off.

10. optimus187prime macrumors newbie

Im kinda in the same boat as you. I am going to hit the local apple store tomorrow and decide then.

11. Built macrumors 68020

I'm on a business trip to NY right now, but will be back in LA Monday night. Will be going to the Apple Store, also, to check things out.

Let me know what you do, optimus. I am REALLY rethinking the decision to get an MB.

The quality control really appears to stink. Major problems with the machine based on my reading of the posts on here. The washed out screen is a MAJOR negative factor.

12. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Sure it does. Apple spends more time designing smug commercials (Hi, I'm a Jerk! And I'm a PC...) than they do ensuring wave after wave of buggy *books go through QC. It's kind of a bummer. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping my MB "just works" when it arrives.

13. Built macrumors 68020

I agree, heat. I, too, have seen those commercials (how can you miss them?). They advertise the Mac product line as out-of-the-box, go-right-to-work. What a crock.

I am really disenchanted, and I have not even gotten my first Mac yet. I was really excited, but after reading about the washed out screen, and then seeing it in the store, I am beginning to think Apple is all hype.

I really would like to be able to rethink my decision, but now I'm just too wary to make the leap to Mac, as much as I would like to.

14. optimus187prime macrumors newbie

I sure will ! This site will be one of the first I will visit if I get one. I think I have just decided to get one, the only thing I have to wait on is getting a credit card with 0% for six months +. Dont wanna pay for it upfront even though I could. So it is very possible I will be on here tomorrow asking all kinds of questions about programs and just generally tweaking the MB.

15. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

mbp's arent bad at all, i have one

16. mckyvlle macrumors 6502a

My MacBook is my very first Mac too. I also had the same thoughts as you did when deciding to buy one.

> LCD
    I wasn't sure I would like the glossy screen, never used one before and probably quite biased against them for their reflectiveness/shininess. But after getting the MacBook, I'm surprised how "un-annoyed" I am by the glossy LCD. As for the colours bleaching out, compared to a HP Compaq 6910p or Phillips 170S LCDs, I can't really say that the MacBook's screen is bad.

> Stuck Keyboard
    So far since I got my MacBook (about three weeks) I have only experienced this once. And that's in the first week of owning it. Maybe it's fixed in 10.5.1 but I can't say for sure. Or it might just need a bit of running in, like a new car.

> Heat
    Yes, it does get quite hot when I'm playing WCIII/DotA on it, but then the MacBook is sitting on a desk... If I'm just surfing/chatting, the temperature hovers around 40c, so it's not too bad for it to sit on my lap.

I haven't been to a US Apple Store before, do they use funny lighting in there? The shops here just use plain white floresence lamps. Any chance of you seeing the MacBook screen under the ambient conditions you're most likely to use it (office/bedroom/lounge/etc)?

Hope this helps. :)

17. minutePulsation macrumors member

minutePulsation

the contrast in the Universal Access completely fixes the SR MacBook screen Contrast Issue... (apple-option-control-. just two clicks) and it becomes identical to the previous MacBook (just did a side by side comparison 30 minutes ago)

18. St. Germain macrumors 6502

Yep. After adjusting the Contrast in that menu on a new SR MacBook, the screen now looks identical to my 2006 MacBook which has the nicest looking laptop screen I've ever owned (and I've had about a dozen high-end PC laptops.) This is basically a non-issue once you adjust the Contrast slightly. People getting their panties in a bunch about having to open a preference window and move a settings bar a couple notches are being very silly. Changing the default contrast will likely be a very easy update for Apple to issue if it takes me less than 10 seconds to do it myself.

19. optimus187prime macrumors newbie

Ok well I got my macbook today and soo far its awesome. No problems. The screen is tricky with its viewing angle but I think I have figured it out. ( wouldnt mind knowing how to change the contrast just to check though) All in all I am very happy I will most likely upgrade the RAM soon just to max that out. Any programs I should get, I am a total OSX noob. I am just poking around at programs and things.

20. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

You could use Super Cal to calibrate your screen it works well and it's free.

21. mckyvlle macrumors 6502a

The Contrast setting is in System Preferences -> Universal Access.
    Or you could try the keyboard shortcuts:
    • increase contrast: ctrl+option+cmd+.
    • decrease contrast: ctrl+option+cmd+,

22. 0sX Le0p4rD macrumors member

So the MacBook's screen doesn't even compare to the MacBook Pro's LED-backlit screen?

23. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

No not at all. The LED screen is much better but I dont find the macbook's screen bad at all. The speed is almost the same as my MBP 2.4 and the battery life is super! All said its a great notebook!!

24. rox macrumors newbie

macbook pro

After almost a year of owning my first mac, a macbook pro, I found out yeasterday my screen bleached really bad... and it did the same today; I had to restart the computer and then it looked back to normal; not sure what is going on... I'll probably have to go to the Apple store and got it checked out? is it a hardware problem? or a video card? I'm kind of disappointed , didn't expect in less than a year to have problems with my machine!! Anybody else had this problem with the macbookpro?

25. designgeek macrumors 65816

designgeek

I used the calibrate function in the display sys-pref pane to adjust the gamma correction on my uMBP to 2.2 instead of 1.8. It's definitely a personal preference but I like the way it darkened the display slightly and increased the contrast with out washing out the gradients as well as making black awesome.