MacBook Screen Broken (very dim)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by SJason723, Jun 4, 2008.

1. SJason723 macrumors newbie

Hi,

When I turned on my MacBook today, the screen was very dark. The computer is fully functional, but it is very difficult to see anything. It almost appears like the screen is set to a negative filter, with light colors looking dark. I have tried to adjust brightness, colors, display setting etc. I'm assuming the problem is with the connection between the display and the rest of the computer.

Please help if you have had this problem!

Thanks!

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Sounds like the backlight is not coming on. Most likely the backlight itself or the backlight inverter have failed. These can be replaced without replacing the screen itself. If you've got AppleCare (either the machine is under 1 year old or you bought the extension) take it back to Apple and they'll fix it for free. Otherwise you're looking at a bit of a bill, not sure how much, sorry.

3. perp macrumors newbie

same thing happened to me after a friend of mine dropped a strut bar on it. ****in idiot...

4. hellomoto4 macrumors 6502a

hellomoto4

Yeah just take it back to an Apple store and they'll fix it up for you.

5. kileyj macrumors newbie

backlight on the MacBook

How do I know that my screen is as bright as possible? I've not been able to find any info on the control panel. Thanks

6. JediMeister macrumors 68040

The brightness can be adjusted using the function keys on the keyboard or in the Displays pane of system preferences. It should be the same place you can change the screen resolution.