Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vega07

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
1. Today, I turned on my MacBook running 10.5.7 bought in the Summer of 2006 and the colors were washed out/faded. They were noticeably more bluish-purple. This is the third time it happened over the past year, so it is incredibly hard to replicate for a genius. A restart fixed the issue. I did not mess with the color schemes (I actually don't even know how to use them), nor have I dropped my laptop in the past three years I have owned it.

Anyone know what is the issue here? I'm pretty sure it's hardware-related. I am concerned because my AppleCare is expiring this coming September, and I don't know how to replicate the problem!

2. Also, after a good period of nonuse, one-fourth of my screen (the lower left corner) is noticeably "darker" after I turn it on. The area goes back to its correct brightness after 10-15 minutes, like the screen has to warm up first. I've had this problem since I first purchased the unit but this dark spot has definitely gotten bigger. Is this normal for a laptop?

3. Coconut battery says that I have only gone through 4 battery cycles. I've calibrated the battery and the program still says the same thing. The battery I replaced quite a while ago did not have this problem.

I hope you guys will be able to help me with these problems I have!
Thanks. :D

paolo-

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
Shouldn't be normal. Try taking pictures or screenshots, if it's flagrant. My brother had occasional screen tearing (huge vertical gaps) he took a screenshot and was able to settle it with apple, even though his computer is out of apple care, still on hardware warranty (got the graphics card replace). But I'm not sure having the wrong colours profile is due to hardware.

Mind you, my display colours sometimes go off (not sure on my macbook as it runs a screen profile very close to the original) on my external screen when opening it from sleep. I simply click on Displays in System preferences and everything goes back to normal. Mind you that doesn't happen when the macbook doesn't have an external screen plugged in.

If you have a non led screen (like your macbook), it's normal for it took take a little time to get to it's full brightness. I'm guessing there are several lamps in the panel and the lower left corner takes a little more time to warm up. That could be a signal that it's starting to give up.

I'd give it a shot at the apple store before it goes off warranty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.