Macbook Screen Cracked and Email to Steve Jobs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sekhmet2003, Jan 5, 2008.

1. sekhmet2003 macrumors newbie

Hey, I've been searching around the internet about the best way to deal with my Macbook screen being cracked. I decided the best way to deal with it is to email Steve himself (well, email the people who check his emails). Here's what I wrote. It's all true and I hope to get an answer soon!

"My name is ___________ , and I received a Macbook as a birthday gift, ordered on _________. The order number was _________, and it was bought using the education customer discount. I was thrilled to be able to use this computer, as the laptop I had before this was a Dell Inspiron which I have had lots of problems with, to the point that I simply gave them the laptop and told them to give me my money back, because I was going to buy a Mac. I am in a landscape architect program at my university and the mac really gives me a great improvement in my ability to do projects and photoshopping.

I have had a few issues with Apple before, the first being my iPod freezing, but I received a new one immediately. The second has to do with my Macbook. When I ordered it, I added on Pages to be installed. When I got my Macbook, it wasn't installed and I did not receive an installation code. However, one call later and I got a Pages box shipped to me so that I could install it.

My current problem is that my screen is cracked from the top right hand corner. I was using my macbook today and closed it and put it on a table, never being rough with it or mishandling it while doing so. Several hours later, I came back and opened up the top and saw this crack. No one touched it while it was sitting there, and I know that the crack was not there before I closed it.

After doing research on this problem online, I saw that this is a very common problem, and one that is generally never solved. As a student, I do not have the disposable income to fund a 300-800$ repair on my laptop. Separately, I don't really feel it is fair to have to pay for a repair that I don't believe I caused. I did not drop it and nor did I mishandle my laptop. It looks like the crack originates from the top edge of the lcd screen and spider webs off of it. If I had dropped it, I would expect the crack lines to reach all the way to the edges, a clean and complete break. But the cracks go for about two inches before stopping.

I was wondering if there is anyway this can be repaired while still on my warranty. It has not even been 90 days since purchase and I really need this laptop for my winter semester classes. I really trust in the Apple name, and although some people have had bad experiences having their products repaired, I hope that I can be one of the good stories. "

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Looks good to me.

Still, you could try to go through the warranty replacement process before e-mailing the Jobs.

3. one1 macrumors 65816

Hopefully you will have a positive response. I have seen apple wiggling out of repairs lately with all the issues with the macbook that have surfaced. The most commonly used excuse to deny wty seems to be "spill damage" when infact the books were not spilled on in any way. I've seen this more than a handful of times.

Report back and let us know if you get it fixed :)

One thing that really gets steve's goat is that he is a perfectionist so if you simply say "Steve, did you know your products have a fatal flaw?" it gets his attention as he hates imperfections that he has control over.

4. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

Do they really take messages sent to that e-mail address seriously?

5. one1 macrumors 65816

I think it's similar to writing letters to santa. :D

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Welcome to MacRumors!

It's not the first time someone here has sent a serious mail to that address.

7. gavd macrumors 6502a

I'm with Eidorian on this. Most people don't send emails there straight away. They usually try and get their problems resolved in the normal way before resorting to that.

8. Paul Wright macrumors regular

Paul Wright

did you use the email address sjobs@mac.com ? As i have recently sent him an email and i was wondering if that was the correct address.

9. sekhmet2003 thread starter macrumors newbie

It's just, in everything I've seen, people only get results when they email him, and going to the store and phoning just drags out the process. I really need it for school and so this is my way of (hopefully) getting this answer quicker!

A question for you guys though. My keybord sometimes freezes and wont respond for a number of minutes, is that normal? It's always after starting or comming out of sleep. And, how hot is too hot for the computer to get?

Thanks for the fast replies ^_^

10. heatmiser macrumors 68020

If you're using Leopard, it is. If you're using Tiger, it isn't.

11. cornopaez macrumors regular

cornopaez

If it's covered by the warranty I'm sure they are going to work something with you very quickly... or maybe you just want to sit there and wait for the reply :D

12. sekhmet2003 thread starter macrumors newbie

No, I havn't upgraded to Leopard yet. Since I just got my baby, I wanted to expeirence it without that upgrade, and then see how it works with it. And I bought it like, 20 days too late to get a free iPod with it, and 27 days too early to get leopard free ><.

Oh, dear, I have another question! Safari freezes up a lot, as do a lot of programs. Apparently this is caused by my memory being two chips? I'm not an expert on all this computer stuff, so I have no idea!

13. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

Have you installed the latest update regarding the keyboard?

14. theman macrumors 6502a

no... it wouldnt have anything to do with memory being two chips... that's usually a good thing.

15. GAS macrumors regular

I thought it would have been quicker to ring apple than to wait for a reply from the email.

16. sekhmet2003 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I got an email from an Apple representitive on Jan 7th and he requested to talk on the phone. I just phoned and hes away but hopefully I'll get to talk to him today!! Hope this goes well :)

17. hari-bhari macrumors regular

you're actually going to talk to steve jobs?? what is his email address, is it the sjobs that was posted above? i'd like to have a little chat with him about my macbook too. Ive had to send it in 3 times in 4 months for repair, and had 2 replacements in the first two weeks of ownership.

18. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

Yes they do, I had a 17" MBP sent to me for free!!!

19. hari-bhari macrumors regular