Macbook Screen Cracked, Considering Options: Advice?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by macAttack!, Jun 18, 2008.

1. macAttack! macrumors member

Tragedy has struck.

my white intel macbook has received a crack across its screen. applecare refused to cover it (not surprised) :(.

essentially my options stand as follows:

pay for apple repair ($755:eek:): i would then retain my applecare (i have a 30 day chance to get a refund on my applecare)

Pay for third party repair ($230-$400): i have found a seemingly cheap repair here: http://www.missionrepair.com/13_Mac...222-2003.htm?gclid=CPGJobSS_JMCFQUNIgodZ1MAVg
    but am nervous about the site as it is significantly cheaper than all its competitors and can't find any sort of review for its services.

i am also seriously considering ordering a screen myself for a do-it-yourself instillation: i found cheap displays here: http://www.laptopscreen1.com/search-advanced.shtml?brand=Apple&size=13.3&res=&query=&search=Go
    i could even (correct me if i'm wrong here:confused:) do a matte instillation in this situation.

i have no experience doing any sort of repairs on computers...should i try this option? any success at this before?

last option is dealing with it and hoping it doesn't continue to deteriorate (i don't like the idea of this option...)

any suggestions as told from experience would be greatly appreciated!

thanks

2. krye macrumors 68000

krye

I would do it myself. So much cheaper. You can get an LCD on eBay for like $200. Go to ifixit.com for disassembly instructions. I used their instructions to swap out a broken LCD on my MacBook and it' s good as new now.

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/

The instructions are great. Most of the screws are different shapes and sizes. The easiest way to keep track of them is to print out the instructions and tape the screws that you take out for each step to the instructions. That's what I did. See on the left of the image below.

[​IMG]

3. macAttack! thread starter macrumors member

4. macAttack! thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the response! you placed it while i was typing the post below it...

i like the idea of that...

though it seemed like the instructions on ifixit were for replacing the entire monitor section (camera and all) am i wrong? (this would be a more expensive replacement part i assume)

5. macAttack! thread starter macrumors member

My biggest concern is doing something devestating to the macbook in my attempt at a self repair.

is the effort likely to end in further disaster? how likely is it that i am going to create more of a problem? is the book ridiculously fragile? :confused:

any help would be great!

6. Eric. macrumors regular

If you aren't sure about doing it yourself, find an LCD on eBay or elsewhere and take it to a local shop for an estimate.

7. M4CBOOK macrumors regular

M4CBOOK

Buy an LCD, then get someone who knows about computers to install it

8. macAttack! thread starter macrumors member

so does that mean you think the process is too involved/delicate for a person unexperienced with computer work to attempt?

9. Curtiz macrumors newbie

i just replaced the lcd on my macbook, use the ifixit instructions, you have to take more of the macbook apart, but you'll be happy that you did, because with the other instructions where you just take off the bezel and hinge cover and then unscrew the screen its harder to get the hinge cover off and then back on, i tried doing that at first and couldnt get the hinge cover back on the right way and sort of bent it out of shape and ended up taking it all apart using ifixit's instructions. Its not that hard really, just take your time and be careful removing everything, took me probably an hour and a half or so to do it all

10. macAttack! thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the advice Curtiz.

question though: would the replacement part i linked above work/where did you get your part?

(i assume it will i just want to make sure i don't need the "special" part through ifixit)

thanks!

11. macAttack! thread starter macrumors member

I also don't want to rule out sending it away... that website had the price around $250 (considering tax/shipping)

would i be wasting money having someone else repair it?

12. asme macrumors regular

Pay for a cheaper third-party repair, BUUUT take this opportunity to ask/look for a matte rather than glossy screen if you so desire. There are matte screens that fit the Macbook if that was bothering you earlier on.

13. Curtiz macrumors newbie

i actually just bought a used macbook screen off of ebay and paid i think 104 including shipping, you can usually find good deals on macbook lcds on ebay

14. kgarcia53 macrumors newbie

im curious mate, what'd u do to fix it?? i've got the same problem! x

15. Mpulsive81 macrumors 6502

lol someone brought this thread back from the dead!

same suggestion, eBay for a decently priced screen and use ifixit.com to get step-by-step directions on how to replace it. You'll be up w/in an hour.

16. kgarcia53 macrumors newbie

lol amazing what google finds for u these days...

just tryin to find out if this guy who wrote the thread ever took it in or did it himself that's all.... a bit nervous to do the screen by myself see lol x