macbook screen disease

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Professional, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Professional macrumors newbie

About 3 weeks ago I bought a new Mac directly from Apple online. So far I love the thing, its my first Mac, But a few days ago I began to notice something on the screen. In the lower right hand corner of my screen what looked like dust, I found a few dead pixels. I felt it was ignorable for being in a relatively obscure part of the screen. However, every day it appears to be slowly spreading. It's never been dropped and the machine has only seen light use so far. At first when I noticed it there may have been 10-15, today there must be atleast 50 dead ones. Theres a small blob of them with a straight line extending almost to the edge of the screen.

I called Apple and they said the only thing I can do is take it into an Apple store to have them check it. Reasonable, however the closest Apple store is over 4 hours away; or, I could buy their extended care plan for an extra $250, then they'll send me a box for shipping it to them for replacement. I'm not sure I can afford an extra $250 to repair my brand new laptop I just spent $1500 on. Does anyone have any advice on what I should do? Is my only option really to take it to them? I would have thought the 90 day parts / labour warrenty would support shipping it to them (Sony's did for my last laptop), but I guess it doesnt?

2. asme macrumors regular

I thought it was 1 year warranty, 90 days phone support.

Call them again and you will undoubtedly speak to a different representative who perhaps knows the rules better. If they confirm you have to take it to the apple store, then I'm wrong, but calling again is worth a shot.

3. applepalace.com macrumors newbie

Apple has 1 year warranty , you dont need to buy extended to get your computer repaired . They always try to sell you the AppleCare :)

Your computer might be damaged in shipping, they might even say that you damaged the LCD. I wish you good luck.

4. Professional thread starter macrumors newbie

And thats exactly what I considered it, a sales pitch. But they claim they can't repair it unless I take it into them, which is over 4 hours away, and they wont send me a box unless I have the extended coverage.

5. applepalace.com macrumors newbie

Just send back with box you got from them. Why do you need them to send you a box. If you lost the shipping box they used , you can go to fedex an get one. Ask them if its possible to ship it to them if you pay the shipping. Its gonna be cheaper than the Apple Care BS.

6. Built macrumors 68020

That's BS. (not you, THEY ARE BS...) Under the one year warranty, you are entitled to all of the same privileges you would receive if you purchased AppleCare. They should send you a box (I have returned two iPods (not under AppleCare...and I received a box both times).

Escalate it to a manager. THey are trying to hold you hostage to buying their AppleCare.

Don't take no for an answer.

7. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Agreed, Call back and ask to talk to the supervisor if needed. They will send a box.

You also might consider seeing if there is a Apple repair center nearby.

8. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

If it's past 90 days they want $50 or Applecare (or visit a "genius") to diagnose the problem. Since this is well within the 90 day window there should be no question, they send the box and back it goes!

Cheers,