Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kingdeemz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2013
I recently installed new memory on my macbook pro 13 inch mid 2012 model (from 6GB - 16GB). I have 8x2 DDR 3 1600 MHz installed in the slots. a few hours after having installed the ram i noticed that the display would flicker violently (while playing WOW) to the point where i cannot do anything but hold the power button to force my macbook to shut down. The thing is when the screen flickers its not a black bar that flashes on the screen its like little thin rainbow colored bars flashing at random points on the screen. Just a few minutes ago my macbook just randomly restarted on its own while i was using safari. Also, one time I but my Macbook to sleep for a few hours and when i tired to wake it up it was not responding to me pressing the power button, the keyboard or the touch pad. I have never had a problem like this before until I installed my new RAM so I would like to know if it is the new ram that i installed that is causing these issues or if its something else?

please see attached file.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    641.8 KB · Views: 401

chrise2

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
Put old ram back. If Problem goes away, then you got bad ram or wrong ram. If problem doesn't go away then you either damaged something or loosened a connection while putting in the new ram.

hackerwayne

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
I recently installed new memory on my macbook pro 13 inch mid 2012 model (from 6GB - 16GB). I have 8x2 DDR 3 1600 MHz installed in the slots. a few hours after having installed the ram i noticed that the display would flicker violently (while playing WOW) to the point where i cannot do anything but hold the power button to force my macbook to shut down. The thing is when the screen flickers its not a black bar that flashes on the screen its like little thin rainbow colored bars flashing at random points on the screen. Just a few minutes ago my macbook just randomly restarted on its own while i was using safari. Also, one time I but my Macbook to sleep for a few hours and when i tired to wake it up it was not responding to me pressing the power button, the keyboard or the touch pad. I have never had a problem like this before until I installed my new RAM so I would like to know if it is the new ram that i installed that is causing these issues or if its something else?

please see attached file.

Run Apple Hardware Test, it should test the RAM as well.. So if the RAM is the problem, it will show up on AHT

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.