Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GCY

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2006
NYC
I have a first gen macbook that suffers from the screen flickering problem. I took it to the apple store for repair like 5 months ago and the problem started occurring again! Now I'm out of warranty and I suspect the problem will get worst....as it did the first go around.

if I do bring it to the apple store for repair, how much can I expect to be charge for repair of the same problem twice? Anyone else that have this problem occur to them twice?

GCY

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2006
NYC
ok I noticed that it only flickers for like the first 10 minutes after I turn on the machine. It doesn't seem to flicker after that. Should I even consider paying for a repair?

iPhelim

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2007
Yeah, i get this too every now and then, i was beginning to think that i was the only one. It hasn't been enough of a problem for me to take it to the Apple Store yet even though i have 3 years warranty for free from the HE store, if i had a store 10 minutes away however i probably would have gone. I got one of the very first MacBooks so probably in the same 'batch' as yours. I find that disconnecting and reconnecting the power cord sorts it out...mostly. I wonder if 10.5.2 which i've just installed will wield and cure.

GCY

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2006
NYC
The first gen macbooks suffers from this problem. I was told the problem comes from the logic board and a replacement would do the trick. Since apple already repaired it once, I'm starting to think its from the screen.

btw...it happens when it woke from sleep mode also.
and the 10.5.2 update does not fix it. I just installed it.

GCY

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2006
NYC
I contacted Apple support the other day and they basically told me to do some hardware resets...which didn't help at all. It seems the problem is getting worst! Worst then the first go around!. Its starting to bug the hell outta me. They also told me that the repair would cost $300+(now I wish I bought Apple care)

anyways, is there any way to avoid paying for the repair? Can I blame Apple for not properly fixing the problem? The support guy basically told me to bring it to the store for testing and if there is a problem, I'll most likely have to pay.:mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.