MacBook Screen Flickers

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by BigOrangeSU, Jan 8, 2009.

1. BigOrangeSU macrumors regular

Hi-
    My screen flickers on my new UniBody Macbook. The problem occurs intermittently and seems to only appear when the computer is on battery. Should I take the computer to be replaced at a genius bar or should I wait for a possible software update. I have the 9c8c screen, so I don't want to risk getting the fairly inferior screen.

Thanks

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

It is probably a bad inverter, you need to get it replaced. (Not the screen, just the inverter). Take it to Apple.

3. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

The new unibody macbooks dont have inverters because they have LED backlighting.

The problem is with the powercable that connects the LED backlighting to your battery dc adaptor, you need to take it to the Apple store and the Geniuses should fix it for you, but it will take a day.

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Oops. Same thing, though. It's not the screen, but the power to the backlight.

5. BigOrangeSU thread starter macrumors regular

Will they replace the computer, because I just bought it about 2 weeks ago? If so do you think I should wait in hopes to get ilife 09 if they replace it.

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You can ask ... no guarantees.

7. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

They will replace it, they have to if you ask and theres something wrong within 14 days, and you should be able to upgrade to Ilife 09 for free anyway even if it didnt need replacing.

8. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

mine flickers, super fast, almost imperceptibly, but ONLY when the brightness is set to the 4th tick mark from the left.

9. mbleopard macrumors regular

It may not fix it, but try going to the System Preferences and uncheck "Automatically adjust brightness as ambient light changes"

My screen would flicker and this was the cause

10. BigOrangeSU thread starter macrumors regular

wow that 4th tick mark thing may be the actual problem. My problem is soo intermittent because times it happens and other times, i just cant tell.

Thanks for all your responses.

11. bizzle macrumors 6502a

The new unibody Macbooks have an all in one LCD/Clamshell. When you replace the LCD, you replace the entire clamshell.