Macbook screen goes in and out

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Fenir, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Fenir macrumors regular

Alright, here is my story. On my second macbook, but this is the third issue to arise with this macbook. I am out of warranty, as this is a first gen macbook.

Anyways, the screen on my macbook randomly started to disappear, only for a brief second, then when come back on and would be fine. Eventually, it got worse, and would "blank" for longer and longer, until now, where it is completely blank (meaning showing a backlit white screen) all the time. I can use an external monitor and it works fine, or I can apply some pressure in the upper left hand corner and it works (I tried about 100 different ways to make it work). The screen doesn't appear to be broke, as I had broken a Motorola RAZR about 2 years ago and the liquid crystals would just spread all over the screen, a big "blot" if you will).

Well anyways, nearest apple store is 2 hours away, and went down there about a month ago. Asked if they could take a look at it, told me I needed an appointment - I was not aware that this is how Apple store's operated (got it on the internet, never been in an apple store before). They wouldn't take a look at my macbook and I was disappointed to say the least. I made an appointment and came back a week later. The guy took a look at my laptop and said he had never seen anything like it before. He said I had two options: Pay $160 + the cost of a video cord and it MIGHT fix it, but they couldn't guarantee it or I could pay $280 and ship it out to apple to get it fixed. This all happened in about a 3 minute span, after driving back down 2 hours again. I was not really happy with that, as they couldn't even tell me what was wrong with it and/or what $300 would do to make it work. I left the survey feedback and got a call back from the manger.

He told me "sorry for the bad time, etc, etc.." and that he would be able to tell me exactly what was wrong with it and give me a discount for my troubles. So another week later, made the trip down, asked to speak to the same manager, told him we had talked on the phone and he would take a look at my macbook...and he did, and came back about 3 minutes telling me that it would be best if I spent $300 (more than the 280 i was told last time) and send it back out to apple...Honestly, I don't think he even remembered talking to me. There certainly wasn't any type of "discount".

I probably should have asked a little more questions, but it was just really frusturating driving a total of 12 hours (three trips, 2 hours each way) total to have my macbook looked at for about 5 minutes.

I'm out of warranty, and certianly do not want to pay $300 for what I belive is just a loose connection inside. I love my macbook, but this has been a really bad time for me. I have forgotten what it is like to have a laptop.

Thoughts,Suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
    Bryan

2. Fenir thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry to bump my old post, but here are some pictures, taken about 15 seconds apart:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. thefallingkeys macrumors newbie

same thing

i have literally the same problem.

everything works fine except the screen will only work if i apply pressure to the upper left corner of the macbook like in your picture.

did you ever find a solution to this?