Macbook screen is awful. replacements available?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by cRuNcHiE, May 5, 2008.

1. cRuNcHiE macrumors 6502a

I recently got a refurb macbook just as the newer models came out and i was a bit dissapointed with the screen when i compare it to my macbook pro.
    It's nowhere near as bright and looks very washed out.

The viewing angles are also far worse than on my 2yr old MBP.

Is it a duff screen or are they all like this on a MB? Should i send it back? I've had it a a few months now but now we are getting sunnier days here in the UK ive noticed it just seems really poor

If its normal, can i replace the screen myself with a more modern LCD?

According to system prefs the screen i have it:

Manufacturer 00000610
    Model 00009C5B
    Date: C054C480

I believe its a samsung.

It's still bad after calibrating with a pro hardware monitor calibration util

2. BlackMax macrumors 6502a

BlackMax

I don't have my MacBook with me at the moment, but I believe my LCD screen is an LG (I'll check it tonight and report back for a comparison). It definitely isn't the best screen in the world, but it isn't the worst either. I did have to calibrate the screen several times before I was happy with it. You also have to look at the screen at pretty much a 90 degree angle to get the colors right. The viewing angle on my MacBook is very narrow.

This person replaced the glossy screen on his MacBook with a matte screen. I'd say, unless your LCD is busted with physical damage, don't bother trying to replace it yourself. If it is as bad as you say, perhaps you can simply get it replaced by Apple under warranty.

3. BlackMax macrumors 6502a

BlackMax

I just checked my LCD info on my MacBook. It is:

Manufacturer: 00000610
    Model: 00009C5F
    Serial: 00000000
    Date Made: C01D6580

I read in another thread that MacBooks come with one of four LCD panels:

9C5E/5E9C - Chi Mei N133I1
    9C5C/5C9C - Au Optronics B133EW01
    9C5B/5B9C - Samsung LTN133W1
    9C5F/5F9C - LG Philips LP133WX1

Mine is the LG Phillips and is generally considered the best of the four. You have the Samsung, which has received many complaints from what I've read.

All refurbished Macs come with a full year's warranty. Take it into your nearest Apple store and see what they say. Perhaps you can get it replaced with another MacBook.

4. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Is there a way to request the LG lcd? I am looking to buy a Macbook and I am curious if this can be done?

Thanks

5. BlackMax macrumors 6502a

BlackMax

Not that I am aware of, but you could always go to an Apple store and check what type of displays are on the demo models. If everything on the floor is LG perhaps everything is stock is too.

You can check the display type by going to:

System Preferences -> Display -> Color

Open the default LCD profile.

Scroll down to number 13 and you should see the model number listed. Then just compare it to the one's posted above to determine the manufacturer.

6. aLoC macrumors 6502a

My Blackbook also had a washed out screen with poor viewing angles. Apparently Apple are not lowering prices by improving their efficiency, but by using cheaper components.

7. johnsy macrumors 6502

I just checked my Imac display. It seems it is LG/Philips. That is why it is so good!

here are details:
    manufacturer:00000610
    model: 00009C65

8. Gokhan macrumors 6502a

yeah generally i have not seen the new macbooks but my sr macbook is not brillant screenwise , it has feint lines (which has been documented) and is of crap quality compared to a £350 lenevo damn you apple !!

anyway seen as i have 3 years applecare they will be hearing from me soonly but yes generally macbook screens are not the best hell even my mbp is not excellent for a pro consumer laptop it sucks although i am lucky in terms of both machines as they are ok screens without being too bad unlike some others i have seen.

Although both will be going back to apple sometime , god bless applecare

p.s matt screens are beter

9. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Yea after having come from the mbp led screen the macbook screens doesnt look that great.

10. StuBeck macrumors 6502

It is so good because its a true 8 bit display. The 20 inch imacs and macbooks are using cheaper 6 bit displays.

11. Jpoon macrumors 6502

Hooray here, got the LG one on my Santa Rosa.

12. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

After getting used to and using the macbook for a while (using someones color profile as well) the screen looks great. I have a Chi Mei.