Macbook screen is black at login, works fine on external display

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by vanessa2, Sep 3, 2012.

1. vanessa2 macrumors newbie

So, basically my mid 2010 macbook's screen has gone all black. It turns on, boots up to where the login screen should appear but just displays a black screen. Something similar happened a few weeks back; updated software then weird pixel-like lines started appearing across the screen until hours later the screen was all black with white vertical lines running across it. Fixed that by resetting PRAM, all was ok.
    Now, a few days ago updated software, days later I come home from work and open the macbook to see a flash of the login and then it all went black. Sometimes it'll show the same vertical lines, as well as a thin section of white horizontal lines at the very bottom then back to all black. I can hear the volume go up and down, I can dim the backlight and see the change AND when I plugged it in to an external display I can use my computer just fine. When I unplug from the external display my regular computer display flashes at me for a few seconds before returning to an all black screen :(

I'm out of warranty of course, but I've made an appt with the genius bar for a diagnosis...... but maybe one of you can help before then? :confused:

2. mstampfer macrumors newbie

The LVDS Cable (video link) might be loose or damaged. You might be able to spare expensive repair costs by reseating the cable or replacing it.