MacBook Screen Issue

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by thesdx, May 22, 2008.

1. thesdx macrumors 6502a

I've had my MacBook for around two months now, and I've noticed this problem ever since I got it. The screen looks sort of washed out, similar to issue the iPod touch had when it first came out. Blacks don't appear black enough. It looks fine if you're looking up at the screen, but if you look down to it, dark colors are too light. I've tried the color calibration, and it has helped a little, but the problem still exists. Is there a way I can get rid of this? I've posted some pics below. They were taken with my iMac's camera, so they aren't that good.

Attached Files:

2. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

Do you get the same result if you view the screen straight on instead of from above like in the photos?

3. asme macrumors regular

It might be backlight bleed. CALL IN for a repair, but don't bring it to an Apple store, because they'll just pass it off as the glossy coating and "part of the design."

My computer had the similar issues. Put the brightness on full and take a picture of a black screen, and if your Macbook looks like mine (see below), it's bleeding of the backlight. Remember to look at it head-on and not from an angle, that'll skew the results.

Attached Files:

4. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Which screen model do you have?. Use the following to find out:

"Currently, MacBooks come with one of four LCD panels:

9C5E/5E9C - Chi Mei N133I1
    9C5C/5C9C - Au Optronics B133EW01
    9C5B/5B9C - Samsung LTN133W1
    9C5F/5F9C - LG Philips LP133WX1

You can find out which panel you have by doing the following:

System Preferences -> Display -> Color

Open the default LCD profile.

Scroll down to number 13 and you should see model number listed there.

In my experience, I have been through three black MacBooks over the last week due to panel 9C5B, the Samsung. I have also read through other threads discussing issues with the Samsung panel. Both laptops I had with the Samsung panels were made in the 12th week of 2008.

All the laptop displays show some amount of dithering, as they are 6-bit panels. I think we all know this, but it bears repeating. The Samsung panels are horrible with their dithering. All grays show severe banding and dithering, including the OS shadows, pull down menu transparancies, etc. If you're also running Windows, you can see the problem a bit better. With Windows, you can just go to the display control panel and take a look at the gray background of the panel. It looks like a very warped checkerboard.

My final swap gave me a great LG/Philips panel, with a MacBook manufacturing date in the 9th week of 2008. The LG and AUO panels seem to be fine, with Chi Mei showing some washing out. The Samsung is disgraceful."

5. cnassaney macrumors newbie

FYI guys, I just recently replaced my Chi Mei LCD with the LG Phillips.. The difference is night and day! WAY BETTER! :D

6. Canadian Bacon macrumors regular

Just curious, did you replace it yourself or did you have it done at e.g. a repair shop? Thanks.

7. cnassaney macrumors newbie

I did it myself. The process is all pretty easy except for 1 thing -- plugging the new LCD back into the inverter board. Was really tricky, but I managed to make it happen after a few prayers to gods that be.

Also, the little bezel clips that attach to the front bezel were annoying. Those have to be taken off the bezel and put back into the frame before trying to reattach the front bezel.

I watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD_snbFa9Zg

The new LCD was about $110. So worth it.

On a scale of difficulty, I would give it a 5, if replacing ram in the laptop is a 3.

8. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

That's the so-so quality (at best) TN panels Apple uses on the MB line =\

9. cnassaney macrumors newbie

Do you recommend a better LCD for the white or black macbooks?