macbook screen issues core duo model

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mrweirdo, Oct 12, 2010.

1. mrweirdo macrumors 6502

Hey all I'm having this really strange issue with my core duo model black macbook that's been an ongoing problem for about the past year.

Anyways what happens is I can be using my mac and the screen will start to freeze and look kind of pix-elated(little tiny microscopic grayish spots) then it starts turning white gradually till it eventually looks like this.
    [​IMG]

Also I have found a video of on youtube with the same issue:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSW0cw_xg4Y
    (pardon the music)

This is something that's progressively gotten worse over time. When it first started happening I could adjust my screen back and forth and it would resolve it. Eventual that stopped working and I discovered that if I apply a bit of pressure to the backside of the screen(carefully) on the left side it would bring it back to life. Now that stopped working as well.

Its definitely a hardware issue related to the built in display(as I can use an external just fine). Adjusting the display hing points that direction as well. Possibly a cable or bad inverter maybe? besides turning to white the screen otherwise works perfectly.

Has anyone here seen this before? Obviously I'm on my own to repair(no biggie) my :apple: since its well out of warranty/applecare. The problem is figuring out what parts i need to do it.

2. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

Wow. I've never seen that before. It sounds like a problem with either the LCD panel and/or the cabling going to it, if using an external display works fine.

I doubt it's the inverter. The inverter only handles the backlight. Your backlight remains on, so I don't think it's the inverter.

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I haven't heard of a problem like that before, but I'd guess its a problem with some of the cables going to the LCD.

4. mrweirdo thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah thats what I'm thinking too. Something to do with the cables going to the screen. From doing more research it sounds like it could possibly be an LVDS Display cable.

ex:
    [​IMG]
    apparently apple part 922-7890 or 922-7889.

It seems there are plenty of replacement sources like powerbookmedic, etc. I really hope this is the problem and not the LCD panel itself. A 30 part vs 200ish ;)

Of course it looks like I get to take the entire mac apart to swap it out. Something I should be able to do but quite a pita :D

5. zazahan macrumors newbie