MacBook screen issues on startup

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by JimBraden, Mar 19, 2011.

1. JimBraden macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Hi,

I tried turning on my trusty MacBook today, but after the chime there was a very brief grey flicker of the screen, and then it turns black. The computer stays humming, but I simply can't get the screen to work.

I've tried rebooting many times, disconnecting the battery, but still get the black screen after that grey flicker.

Any idea what's wrong guys?

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

Is it booting fine? If you hold a flashlight up to the screen, do you get a picture?

3. JimBraden thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yes, it appears to be booting fine. Held against sunlight I can make out the desktop and dock. It also goes into sleep mode when I close the lid.

4. JimBraden thread starter macrumors newbie

Update:

Okay, this seems peculiar...

As said earlier, I was able to make out the dock and the desktop (though just barely). I then turned the brightness levels right down to 0, and then put it back up. Suddenly the screen lit up.

Now, I can ramp it up around three notches on the brightness scale, but if I take it to the 4th notch, then it will turn to black again after a few seconds. Then I have to turn the brightness levels back to 0 and back up to 1 again.

Any clues?