Macbook screen - poor colours, contrast?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Saladinos, Apr 12, 2008.

1. Saladinos macrumors 68000

Saladinos

Hi,

I've got a new Penryn Macbook (black one), and I'm pretty happy with it. My only problem is the screen - it seems to have really bad colours, which I think may be a contrast problem.

For example, I can't see the banded rows in XCode, and I can't see the the grid in Grapher. It just all looks white. Icons on the dock don't look vibrant enough either. It's quite a big problem, because banded rows are a big help for me when looking through long lists, and the grid is very useful when analysing graphs. I can see them if I put the screen way back, so the viewing angle sort of distorts the picture enough to make it look right.

Does anyone else have this problem? Do you think I should ask the Apple Store for a replacement?

I have tried to calibrate the display, but it only slightly corrects the problem. If anybody has a colour meter and has a professionally calibrated profile, I'd appreciate you uploading it.

Thanks!

2. pyr0sphere macrumors regular

3. chscag macrumors 65816

Try increasing the contrast this way:

Open System Preferences, double click "Universal Access". The last item in the dialog is Display. Move the slider toward the right slightly until the contrast increases and you can distinguish better white on black and color rendering.

Regards.

4. herman238 macrumors member

Right I've found David's profile, but how do I load it?

I've put it in the right folder but it's not in the list

5. Celeron macrumors 6502a

My SR 2.2 Macbook had a very poor quality screen. I brought it into the store and compared it against the floor models, on the same website, with the same settings. The quality on mine was terrible. I set up an appointment with the genius who agreed and the screen was replaced.

As it turns out, they also replaced the logic board which failed 3 hours after I got the laptop back so I ended up with a 2.4 Peryn Macbook.

In any case, I got the screen replaced, go to the store and check it out.

6. Saladinos thread starter macrumors 68000

Saladinos

Thanks for that tip. David's profile is certainly better. The banded rows on XCode are more visible, though not as visible as they are on my external monitor (may be the viewing angle. The macbooks have terrible screens in that respect)

To enable the profile, go to the display settings, uncheck the "only show profiles for this display" box, and select "Seems Good 2".

I probably need to get a professional calibration tool. There must be one floating around my uni somewhere. I'll still take it to the store and ask about the viewing angle - it's almost invisible unless I'm at a perfect 90˚ angle to it.