MacBook Screen Problem

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by marsupilami4, Sep 24, 2012.

1. marsupilami4 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I've been having a problem with my late 2007 C2D 2 GHz MacBook for a few weeks now. Since a picture (or in this case a video) is worth a thousand words, please watch the video (link below) to see what happens.
    It happens after a few minutes with the computer completely still (or moving, doesn't matter), busy or idle, plugged in or on battery. After a little while it eventually just stays black forever until I turn it off or put it to sleep. Moving the laptop and/or lid and/or pressing on the screen at various locations has no effect whatsoever. Backlight works just fine and isn't the issue. External monitor works fine as well. I opened it and checked all the connections, nothing was loose. I don't think it's a bad cable since it happens with the computer completely still. From what I've read the inverter is responsible for the backlight so I guess we can rule that out as well. At this point I suspect the LCD panel but I'd rather be sure before forking out $100 for a replacement, so if anyone had the same issue and figured out what was wrong please let me know, thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjIh_Mz5KlA&feature=plcp

2. marsupilami4 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I went ahead and made an appointment with a tech guy at the nearby Apple Store. Hopefully they'll be able to tell me what's wrong, and if they do I'll make sure to report the results here.

3. marsupilami4 thread starter macrumors newbie

Soooooo.....

I went to the Apple store. After seeing the issue, guy said it was most likely the LCD panel, but that there was a chance it could be the logic board. They wanted 200€ for the panel replacement, I said no thanks, bought a used panel for 40€ and did the switch myself. Turns out it's not the screen, which means it's most likely the logic board and therefore not fixable. Great...

Also, another problem popped up with the new screen : backlight will suddenly switch off, and then I have to hold down the "brightness down" key for a couple seconds, after which I can increase the brightness again with the "brightness up" key. Could that come from the screen or did I mess something up somehow during the switch? The new panel is the exact same one as the old one.