Macbook screen repair

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mvaj92, Sep 29, 2008.

1. mvaj92 macrumors member

hey guys, was wondering if you could help me out. My little brother threw a toy at my macbook and cracked the screen. Was wondering if any of yall knew a good place to have this repaired.

Thanks for any help :)

Pic-
    [​IMG]

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Do you have an Apple store near you, or an authorized repair center? Your location would really help.

3. mathcolo macrumors 6502a

If you have an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Reseller/Repairer close by, they would repair it for you. However, it wouldn't be under warranty because "you" caused it.

4. mvaj92 thread starter macrumors member

Yes, I have an apple store near me, i live in the San Antonio area, and i got the macbook as a gift in April, if that helps. Thanks for the replies!

5. dual64bit macrumors 6502

Take it to the Apple store, they will give you a cost for the repair. You'll have to pay a diagnostics fee (maybe you don't if you have them do the repair). In either case the screen will probably run $250-$450

6. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

you could also replace it yourself for around $200. Though I don't think it's an easy repair.

7. dual64bit macrumors 6502

8. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

That price is probably optimistic for Apple. I've used these guys before and I was happy with the service, but I wouldn't recommend the "rush" service for shipping as the ship dates always seem to land on a weekend, which delays the delivery.

http://www.macservice.com/screens.html

9. meyer1131 macrumors regular

now my macbook is in apple being repaired because a particle got into the screen. are they going to charge me for the replacement? they did not mention anything before they took my macbook about the cost.

10. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Is it out of warranty? When did you get it?

11. meyer1131 macrumors regular

it was not out of warrenty purchasedd in january

12. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Then you should be fine. The OP's was broken due to an accident, which is not covered by warranty.

13. dual64bit macrumors 6502

Then it all will be covered by APP - AppleCare Protection Plan - no charge

14. meyer1131 macrumors regular

15. mvaj92 thread starter macrumors member

no big deal, thanks guys for all your help, ill try to post a picture of it, if i can find my camera

16. mvaj92 thread starter macrumors member

decided ill just use my phone camera, here it is:
    [​IMG]

17. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

mvaj92, are you comfortable with taking apart your macbook? I only ask because replacing the screen isn't impossible, but it's not all that easy either. It requires a lot of careful screw removing, then you have to pry things apart. If you can afford the extra $100-ish, $375 to get it repaired by macservice is probably best. The screens themselves go for $200-$250, but you have to do the install yourself. Plus macservice provides a 1-year warranty on the screen. Seems like a decent deal.

I bet you could get an estimate at the apple store, but I'd expect it to be $500+.

18. denbosch macrumors newbie

If you're in the UK, theres a London company that does Macbook screen repairs called Apple Laptop Screens. It's much cheaper than the Apple store. My friend used them, and it worked fine. They charge £185 to replace a Macbook screen including delivery.

19. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann