macbook screen white after screen replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by P4in, May 11, 2011.

1. P4in, May 11, 2011
    Last edited: May 11, 2011

P4in macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I just bought a faulty macbook 5,2 early 09 with a white screen issue. (Wanted to have something to do and thought it would be a good little project)

So the macbook works perfectly with an external monitor however the macbook screen just shows white. Inverter board appears to work because the screen brightness on the macbook can be adjusted. With an external monitor everything is working.

The guy told me that he replaced a cracked screen with a new one in the macbook. Shortly after doing this the screen just shows white (He believes after putting the clutch cover back on this happened, but before doing this the screen worked)

Which I am assuming means the LVDS cable could possibly have been damaged while putting the clutch cover back on. (Its abit bent too so it wasnt put on properly)

However... isight camera is working fine... which makes me think.. that the cable might not actually be faulty? since there on the same cable (I think)

Could anyone give me a little advise, would be greatly appreciated.

(Tried the usual reseting pram and scm but that hasnt helped)

edit: ok now iv just found out that when i unplugged the display out cable the screens flickered with a washed out image on it on the macbook. Everything seems messed up on the screen. So its possible the LCD is broke?

Since doing that now sometimes the screen shows up a faint image on the display but you cant see the cursor move (but can on the monitor as i have both mirrored) and after a few seconds the screen fades back to white again.

2. discounteggroll macrumors 6502

discounteggroll

it sounds like a damaged LVDS cable. It could be the connection to the logic board, it could be pinched/crimped at some point, or it could be partially disconnected at the back of the display. if you do end up trying to replace/diagnose it, I would suggest making sure that it is the cable before routing it.

The isight and display cables merge together, but don't actually "join" but rather run side-by-side into the LVDS connection, so it is still possible for the isight to work while the display does not

3. P4in thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Thanks for the reply, yeah I tool the LCD out to check for it being loose there but it was fine, I hope it's not the actual port on the logic board as you probably can't fix them and will need a new board altogether.

I think il take it apart and straight out the lvds cable like you mentioned for any pinching. I can see part of a wire sticking out the back of the hinge so maybe the previous owner broke it not placing the cover back on carefully

4. discounteggroll macrumors 6502

discounteggroll

no worries! where are you located? I've got TONS of the LVDS cables lying around as I have ordered/purchased hundreds of the display repairs on macbooks, and never use the new ones apple sends with the displays

5. P4in thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Cool , I'm in the UK but most users are American here so I'm guessing you are too?

6. discounteggroll macrumors 6502

discounteggroll

7. P4in thread starter macrumors newbie

ah ok, well I just opened it up and I think it has been liquid damaged... theres some weird stains on the metal under the keyboard at one side... and the caddy around the HDD is covered in the same sort of staining... So im asuming water or something has been spilt on this...

Whats more annoying is I asked the seller if it had water damage because I wont buy anything water damaged as its impossible to fix without replacing huge parts... and he said no... so now im snookered..

8. discounteggroll macrumors 6502

discounteggroll

I'm assuming snookered is british way of saying you're screwed? If so, than yes =(

remote possibility that it's the cable, but be prepared to have yourself a desktop macbook

9. knissjp, Dec 10, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2011

knissjp macrumors newbie

Hi,
    DiscountEggRoll, I am having the same problem as the OP. How much $ would you want to send one to me? I have a white Early '08 MacBook (macbook 4,1). I am located in Zip Code 17601, if that helps calculate shipping costs... you can email me at knissjp@gmail.com.
    Thanks!
    knissjp