Macbook screen won't stay lit?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by DNAnthonyy, Sep 27, 2010.

1. DNAnthonyy macrumors newbie

Just yesterday my macbook screen got dim... I thought the computer went off but it just went dim. I restarted it and it was fine, then 1 minute later the backlight went off. I closed the lid and when I opened it the backlight goes back on for a short time. What could be the problem? The macbook isn't that old. I can't get it lit enough to grab the specs.

It's the white macbook non-unibody. Core2Duo. Snow Leopard. I haven't had any major problems with it so far. It is about 2 years old and unfortunately I do not have the Apple care plan anymore. I would really hate to have to buy a new one.

I would really appreciate it if anyone could help me.

2. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

If you can shine a flashlight onto the screen after it goes black while it's still on and see things, then it's most likely the inverter board and it will need replacing. Or it's possible once of the connectors has come loose to the inverter board and can just be plugged back in.

3. pintsizemacman macrumors regular

pintsizemacman

4. DNAnthonyy thread starter macrumors newbie

I can still see things. I already have caffeine installed. I was thinking of the inverter board... but wouldn't that just cause the backlight to stay off. When I close the lid and open it again... the light comes on again for like a minute or two.

5. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

Then it's possible that the cable going into the inverter board is coming lose and needs to be plugged in more securely. I would take of the display bezel and also the hinge cover and see what's going with the cords and connectors.

6. eman macrumors 6502a

You can find the specs to your macbook under the battery. The cheapest fix is an inverter; if you're going to order an inverter, also get the inverter cable. There are about three different types of inverter cables.

7. DNAnthonyy thread starter macrumors newbie

ugh, I hate fixing the inverter board. SO much to disassemble to get to the cable. >.<

8. DNAnthonyy thread starter macrumors newbie

UPDATE: I think this is a software issue because when the screen goes dim, I just turn the brightness allllll the way down and I can see it move down. I turn it up again and my screen lights up. This is so agitating.

Any other suggestions. Re-installing leopard maybe?

9. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

It wouldn't hurt to try before you start taking apart the display bezel and pretty much the whole machine. Also try and smc reset too.

10. johnnyham macrumors regular

Not sure if the same problem exists with the unibodies, but my 2006 white Macbook had a similar problem. I thought it was just an issue with the inverter board, but when I tried to replace it, I found that the connection on the logic board was not outputting the proper voltage.

That's worst case though. Even then, I managed to salvage the computer as a "media center" of sorts with an external monitor.

11. DNAnthonyy thread starter macrumors newbie

UPDATE: I reinstalled Snow Leopard, and so far. I did a 7x pass. I haven't had a single blacklight black out for 3 hours and still counting. I will let you guys know if I do get another one.

12. lemonbaby macrumors newbie

update?

Sorry for bumping this thread. I'm experiencing the exact same problem and have the exact same macbook make (non-unibody white MB, mid-2008 Santa Rosa). Any news on this? I'd really rather do everything I possibly can before bringing my macbook to the shop.

Help, anyone?

13. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

;)

14. lemonbaby macrumors newbie

Yup, I wanted to know what happened after several days of the reinstall, if after those three hours things still went well. I suppose it worked for him, unfortunately, it didn't work for me... so, I guess it's back to square one over here. :(