Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RMB729

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
I have a black MacBook that I purchased in June 2008. Recently the screen stopped working. The screen comes on long enough for me to login but then goes black. I have restarted it several times with the same result. I did some research and thought at first it might be the inverter so I replaced it. However it still does the same thing, stays on just long enough for me to login. I connected it to an external monitor and the computer works fine. I'm thinking either the backlight or screen. Any ideas? Thanks!

electric-mac

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2012
I have a black MacBook that I purchased in June 2008. Recently the screen stopped working. The screen comes on long enough for me to login but then goes black. I have restarted it several times with the same result. I did some research and thought at first it might be the inverter so I replaced it. However it still does the same thing, stays on just long enough for me to login. I connected it to an external monitor and the computer works fine. I'm thinking either the backlight or screen. Any ideas? Thanks!

The screen is most likely dead. I am sorry to say. Maybe you should take it to an apple store/expert to see what is wrong.

You could also use it as a media computer by hooking it up to an external monitor of some kind, like a tv, then getting a mouse and keyboard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.