Macbook Screen

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jaipal2004, Jan 27, 2012.

1. jaipal2004 macrumors newbie

Hi,

have a screen problem as shown on the attachment. You can remove it by twisting the screen corners although it's been getting more and more difficult to do this.

Is my screen faulty or the cable?

Need to order a replacement asap as i can't use it for work :(

thanks

Jai

Attached Files:

2. simsaladimbamba

3. jaipal2004 thread starter macrumors newbie

It's a Aluminium Unibody 2008 (5.1) Macbook.

A restart can fix it but then it's only a matter of time before if happens again. It is definitely hardware related as moving the screen causes it to reoccur.

----------

It has been getting considerably worse over time - I guess by the constant tugging ont he screen and the opening and closing of the laptop.

Trouble is I don't know if it's the screen or the cable?

4. simsaladimbamba

You mean, when moving the actual lid, the problem reoccurs? Is it always the same position? Did you ever open that Mac or did it fall down?

And is it out of warranty?

5. jaipal2004 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes - when you move the lid/screen it reoccurs. For example now I've found a 'position' where it doesn't occur but when I moveit I risk 'upsetting' it again!

It has had its fair share of movement in a laptop bag but more recently my baby daughter did decide to exert force on the laptop when it was open on the floor(upside down so the screen was facing the floor after she pushed it over). As I'm sure you know the screen does not open fully (to give a straight profile) and instead stops just before to give a triangle shape if that makes sense?

It is out of warranty and I've tried my luck at the Apple Store :(

6. simsaladimbamba

It seems, the cable became loose somehow during that attack.

And what did the Apple Store say?

Have you looked at following iFixIt guide, to see, if you are up to repairing or checking it yourself?

7. jaipal2004 thread starter macrumors newbie

They didn't do a thorough examination - they were going to test with an external display but a other guy looked at it and said it was the screen due to te fact you can affect the problem by twisting the screen.

I can do the fix on the video but want to have a rough idea on if it could be cable or the screen?

Thanks for your help so far !
    :)

8. Android300zx macrumors regular

I would think it's the cable. If it were the screen wouldn't it stay like that all the time. It looks like a loose connection or bad cable.