Macbook Screen

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by KlausFunk, Apr 2, 2014.

1. KlausFunk macrumors newbie

The GF turned her macbook on after the weekend away to discover this.

[​IMG]

She has had it from new since Sep 2008 but it still suits her needs.

So any ideas what happened and can this be fixed?

2. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

Well, obviously something crushed the upper center part of the screen. It can be fixed with a new screen. You can get a new one for around $100 on eBay but the installation is not for the faint of heart. Perhaps time for a new Macbook and sell that one.

3. KlausFunk, Apr 2, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2014

KlausFunk thread starter macrumors newbie

This is what it looks like. Which is weird as it was fine, then when she came home after the weekend it was like this. There was no way anything could have crushed it. It doesn't appear cracked or broken on close inspection.

I have replaced the HDD in my own 2012 Macbook Pro and replaced the SuperDrive with SSD... Are these skills enough to replace an LCD?

4. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

Not necessarily. It's a totally different ballgame. I broke the screen on my black macbook and decided to replace the screen myself. I would be comfortable replacing a hard drive or optical drive with my eyes closed, but the screen was insanely frustrating. There are so many tiny screws, cables, glue spots, and fragile pieces. I ended up throwing in the towel and selling it as-is here and bought a new 2009 unibody macbook pro. I think ifixit has a photo walkthrough, go through the steps and see what you think.

----------

Here's the guide: http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Core+2+Duo+LCD+Panel+Replacement/1498

5. iMacC2D, Apr 4, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  6. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

The old machines are so much easier to replace screens on than the new one. Should be a 10 minute job.

The problem is that it is so old. Something else will die on it, and that $100 investment in a new screen will have been wasted.