Macbook Screen

KlausFunk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2014
London
The GF turned her macbook on after the weekend away to discover this.

She has had it from new since Sep 2008 but it still suits her needs.

So any ideas what happened and can this be fixed?

jknight8907

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2004
Hudson Valley NY
Well, obviously something crushed the upper center part of the screen. It can be fixed with a new screen. You can get a new one for around $100 on eBay but the installation is not for the faint of heart. Perhaps time for a new Macbook and sell that one.

KlausFunk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2014
London
Well, obviously something crushed the upper center part of the screen.
This is what it looks like. Which is weird as it was fine, then when she came home after the weekend it was like this. There was no way anything could have crushed it. It doesn't appear cracked or broken on close inspection.

I have replaced the HDD in my own 2012 Macbook Pro and replaced the SuperDrive with SSD... Are these skills enough to replace an LCD?

Last edited:

jknight8907

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2004
Hudson Valley NY
This is what it looks like. Which is weird as it was fine, then when she came home after the weekend it was like this. There was no way anything could have crushed it. It doesn't appear cracked or broken on close inspection.

I have replaced the HDD in my own 2012 Macbook Pro and replaced the SuperDrive with SSD... Are these skills enough to replace an LCD?
Not necessarily. It's a totally different ballgame. I broke the screen on my black macbook and decided to replace the screen myself. I would be comfortable replacing a hard drive or optical drive with my eyes closed, but the screen was insanely frustrating. There are so many tiny screws, cables, glue spots, and fragile pieces. I ended up throwing in the towel and selling it as-is here and bought a new 2009 unibody macbook pro. I think ifixit has a photo walkthrough, go through the steps and see what you think.

----------

Here's the guide: http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Core+2+Duo+LCD+Panel+Replacement/1498

l.a.rossmann

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2009
Brooklyn
The old machines are so much easier to replace screens on than the new one. Should be a 10 minute job.

The problem is that it is so old. Something else will die on it, and that $100 investment in a new screen will have been wasted.