MacBook Secondary Screen Query

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by joegbs, Apr 22, 2009.

1. joegbs macrumors newbie

joegbs

I have a late 2008 white MacBook, and will soon be expanding desktop space with a secondary monitor.
    However due to a small and cramped desk, the only place the monitor will sit is above the macbook on a shelf. When I've seen examples of external monitors for MacBook's, they have always been to the right or left of the notebook itself. Is it possible to configure so that the monitor will be recognised as above the MacBook?
    Help much appreciated,
    Thanks

2. andrewdale macrumors 6502a

Sure is. In the System Preferences>Displays you can just drag the secondary monitory around to arrange them how you want them to be.

You can also drag the top bar (menu bar) to the other monitor if you decide you want it there, instead.

Post pictures when you get it set up!

3. joegbs thread starter macrumors newbie

joegbs

Ahh great man thanks.
    I definitely will :)
    And just to add, could the MacBook handle a DVI to HDMI converter? Or would the resolution just stay the same?
    Thanks

4. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

[​IMG]

That's how I have mine :D You can also choose to place the menu bar on the top monitor or keep it on the macbook screen.

5. joegbs thread starter macrumors newbie

joegbs

Y'see that looks amazing.
    Hopefully mine will turn out like that.
    I'll have to post photo's when I'm fully configured :)

6. andrewdale macrumors 6502a

I can't say for sure since I have no experience, but I'm pretty sure others have mentioned using a DVI-HDMI converter a bit. Seems possible to me. You won't get the sound across the HDMI, of course. :)

7. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Thanks :D I don't plan to keep it like this, I just am really space constrained right now.

Have you picked out what monitor you're buying yet? The best idea if you're doing a "vertical" set up is to get a monitor that is height adjustable.

And if I may ask, why do you want to do DVI->HDMI on a monitor? Unless you're gonna use it for a game console like I do with a PS3, then it makes sense. But if it is just going to compliment your macbook, a DVI connection will work perfectly. But if are set on going HDMI, then a mini-DVI->DVI->HDMI will work fine too, since they are all digital connections, you shouldn't lose too much quality converting.

8. joegbs thread starter macrumors newbie

joegbs

Yeah I realised that but that's ok because I have external speakers anyway

9. joegbs thread starter macrumors newbie

joegbs

Well I'm buying a monitor off my friend who has used his with his PC for a while in exactly the same way that I would be using mine without any problems. So hopefully it will be fine.

And at first I will be mainly just using my MacBook, (and perhaps my PS2 but that doesn't use HDMI anyway) but I would consider purchasing a games console some time in the future, presuming I can raise the money basically. And that's great about the DVI as it would be perfect for my needs.

10. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Yeah you'll be perfectly fine. Do you know what kind of monitor your friend is selling you? Obviously check for the regulars, dead pixels, backlight dimming (since its an older monitor, the backlight might be already wearing out/fading), and don't forget to make sure it actually has a DVI ;):p haha.

11. joegbs thread starter macrumors newbie

joegbs

Aha yes it certainly has DVI :)
    I don't know the specific model but i know it's an Acer. I have used it recently with his system and it seems to be working beautifully, no imperfections, no nothing.
    I will tell you when I finally get it sorted eh?

12. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Sure thing :D

Be sure to post pics once you get it all set up.

13. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

I believe I recognise the laptop background from Desktop Nexus... :cool:

14. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Uh, I don't know, maybe, I got it from a Gizmodo post :D

15. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Then I would recommend www.desktopnexus.com, especially the abstract category. :D:apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

16. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Hey thanks, I really like this site, I like how it detects what resolution you are using and it optimizes the image for that resolution. Pretty cool :cool:

17. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

No problem man, glad you like it :D