Macbook setup advice

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Macb00k, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Macb00k macrumors newbie

Recently I've purchased a laptop table for myself , the Ikea Dave. This is a really nice table but I keep wondering if I would be better off purchasing an external monitor for my macbook.

Does anyone here use a macbook exclusively? I keep wondering if I'm going to be doing any damage to my eyes if I don't have a bigger screen. My eyesights not the best, but I have no problems seeing anything on my screen.

The only problem I can see is that I won't be able to set up a monitor on this table, so I might need to get a small desk. Failing this would a stand for the laptop help? One of those that slants your laptop at an angle. I don't mind purchasing an additional keyboard/mouse. I've seen some macbook pro setups where someone has done this and it looks pretty nice.

Any help would be appreciated , I can't see a thread dedicated to macbook setups, just one for the macbook pro.

2. Alhambra2606 macrumors newbie

I only ever use a MacBook and dont have any problems with the screen size. Use it for at least 6-8 a day.

3. paolo- macrumors 6502a

I don't see how it could damage your eyes other than if you have trouble seeing what's on the screen. Most people with a secondary screen don't use it to have a larger image. They use it to see more stuff at the same time on the screen. If you don't have any problem with the resolution, there's no need to get a second screen. It really depends what you do with your computer and how you use it.

4. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I don't think it's going to harm your eyes. The only downside I experienced in using a MacBook as my primary computer was the screen size, so adding a large external display would have been nice.

If you're okay with the 13" screen and don't think you need a larger one for workspace, I wouldn't worry about it. You're most likely not harming your eyes. (I am not a doctor)

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Looking down at a laptop even for an entire day at work (as I have done many times before) causes great neck strain on me. That being said, if you just want to raise your screen then get a stand. If you need more real estate get an external monitor and a new desk. I found that using my PowerBook as my primary computer for about 1-2 months before I bought a stand was tough. I bought a stand, then came the external monitor/keyboard/mouse and the PB was used as my desktop outside of when I tossed it into a bag to go to class.

3+ years using a PB driving a 20" Dell then a 30" ACD ... I never had an issue. I highly recommend getting the stand/keyboard/mouse and see how you roll. If you need more real estate get the monitor and desk.

6. raremage macrumors 6502a

I've been using laptops nearly exclusively for the past ten years for work (I have a desktop rig I use for gaming at home).
    That collection has included a 15" PB, 12"PB, 15:MBP, and now a 13" MB (among others).

7. dextermorgan macrumors member

If you want to use an external monitor and keep your table consider a monitor stand. You can place the macbook (closed) under the monitor and save tons of space.