Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lord patton

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
Chicago
Mammoth said:
Proper typing involves keeping your wrists off any surfaces, as it cuts off circulation and eventually causes Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome has its effect in the wrists, but it's "cause" can be anywhere.

If your neck is tense, shoulders locked, jaw clenched, pelvis immobile, or arms completely unaware of the scapula (shoulderblades) and clavicle (collarbone), sternum (breastbone) and feet that they're connected to, you're in a high risk group for CPS, no matter what angle your wrists have.

Like most syndromes (which, by definition, don't have a known cause), the source of the problem is not the same as the location of the symptom.

racurrie

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2006
Persevere! In only a week's time you'll have developed wrist callouses and you're in the clear.

Mammoth

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2005
Canada
A health benefit of wearing gloves is that they also will help prevent Carpal Tunner Syndrome, especially in cold weather. (And geeky stuff is awesome, in my opinion)
Wristies

ansalmo

macrumors regular
May 23, 2005
I don't have any problems when typing, but do if I'm using the trackpad when I'm using the MB on the sofa. After a few minutes, I've got a deep indentation on my hand from the sharp edge. The iBook had pretty squared-off edges and gave a similar but softer impression, but the MB is quite literally a pain. I've easily gone through at least a dozen other laptops (PC-based) over the years and not one of them gave that kind of trouble.

Still, no gain without pain eh?

runninmac

macrumors 65816
Jan 20, 2005
Rockford MI
Heres a pic of what happens to me after a long time of use with bad posture. Ive been home sick doing nothing except being on my MacBook for the majority of the day. This is the first time in the ~month of having it that Ive gotten marks on my wrists.

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.jpg
    Screenshot_1.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 2,496

CoMpX

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
jeff_siler said:
Within 3 hours of using my Macbook I put it up for sale on craigslist because my wrists hurt so bad. I too was waiting months for this release, but this design flaw kills me. I'm not willing to pay $800 more for a MB pro either.

These are definitly frustraiting times for budget apple laptop users.

Jeff

Why would you put it on craigslist with all that risk instead of returning it?? You said you only had it for about 3 hours.

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
My Solution

I used blue tape above and below the front edge only. There was only a fraction of an inch on either side of the edge exposed. Covered up the keyboard and screen with a couple of sheets of paper taped tightly down. Also covered up the DVD slot and IR port/Sleep light. Used 300 grit super fine sandpaper and got rid of the edge. It took all of about 10 minutes and you can't even visibly notice the change. When sitting with the Macbook in your lap on the couch you can definitely *feel* the difference though :cool:

bbrosemer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2006
Cooknn said:
I used blue tape above and below the front edge only. There was only a fraction of an inch on either side of the edge exposed. Covered up the keyboard and screen with a couple of sheets of paper taped tightly down. Also covered up the DVD slot and IR port/Sleep light. Used 300 grit super fine sandpaper and got rid of the edge. It took all of about 10 minutes and you can't even visibly notice the change. When sitting with the Macbook in your lap on the couch you can definitely *feel* the difference though :cool:
That is dedication...

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
get a now posture. but hell even if i press my wrists against the sharp bit it does not bother me.

rjtroester

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2006
You fanboys are all alike

Okay, I like Macs - I really like them. I like the hardware, the software - it's all good. But come on people, stop defending them when they make a mistake! I haven't had any issues with the edges while typing but as other users have said, when just using the trackpad, the edge digs into my outer palm. For me (as I suspect it is for most people) it's most natural to rest my palm on the edge of the laptop when using the trackpad. Sure, there are probably some things I could do (sanding, tape, keep my hand hovering over the keyboard, etc.) to prevent this but I SHOULD'T FRIGGIN' HAVE TO! Plain and simple, this was poor design by Apple. I'm not saying I'm going to stop buying Apple products or anything like that, but good grief - stop making excuses for the company when they screw up.

curiousyellow

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2006
Sharp Edges: a cheap nondestructive fix

Yes, the sharp edges exist :( ; yes, they are annoying to the mind, irritating to the wrist, and insulting to the checkbook. I was able to come up with a kludgy but satisfactory solution which cost me $1.35 and did not involve any sanding, grinding, or filing. I blogged about it here.

ArthurS

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2006
lord patton said:
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome has its effect in the wrists, but it's "cause" can be anywhere.

If your neck is tense, shoulders locked, jaw clenched, pelvis immobile, or arms completely unaware of the scapula (shoulderblades) and clavicle (collarbone), sternum (breastbone) and feet that they're connected to, you're in a high risk group for CPS, no matter what angle your wrists have.

Like most syndromes (which, by definition, don't have a known cause), the source of the problem is not the same as the location of the symptom.

Slightly off-topic, but I hope you don't have a medical degree. Carpal Tunnel Syndrome gets its name from its origin: the carpal tunnel. Its presentation can vary greatly, though.

Also, a syndrome is defined as a group of symptoms that often occur together. Although it is most often used for conditions where the pathophysiology is not (entirely) understood, its use is not limited to these conditions.

As to the sharp edges on the MacBook: I can understand why some people would have trouble with them, but personally they don't bother me at all. Then again, I don't usually rest my wrists on on them.

fatties

macrumors regular
May 21, 2006
i don't wrap myself around my mb so the edges don't bother me except when i run my fingers along it for fun.

Herblenny

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2006
Thank GOD someone else is having this same issue.

CALL APPLE!!! I've called them this morning and talked to them for 1.5 hrs.
3 hours later, I had to bring my computer for warrantee work for yellowing surrounds. There, I spoke with the senior tech and he said he had several people complaining about the same thing.

I'm actually on the phone with Apple now and after explaining my situation again (different person), and he is letting me upgrade to Macbook Pro (17inch). Of course I'm paying the difference but ITS WORTH IT!

So, call apple and complain! At least they wouldn't make this mistake again in the future.. The designer should be SHOT!!! Or production manager, whos trying to save few pennies by not smoothing out the edges..

I would never buy APPLE Laptops without trying them out again in the future.... This is a BIG comfort issue which Apple should of thought of.

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
The edges of my MacBook have the little gap, but it's not sharp at all – I can rest my hands/wrists/whatever on them for hours and feel no discomfort at all. What are you doing? Pressing your wrist into the edge trying to make a mark show up on your skin?

Maybe instead of whining about it we could ask if it's an actual problem, or are people just lazy. ;)

Herblenny

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2006
Mackilroy said:
The edges of my MacBook have the little gap, but it's not sharp at all – I can rest my hands/wrists/whatever on them for hours and feel no discomfort at all. What are you doing? Pressing your wrist into the edge trying to make a mark show up on your skin?

Well, the problem could be because of many different factors (hand size, location of the computer, typing techniques, etc)... But ultimately its comes down to design.. Good design (like ALL other Apple Laptops and MacBook Pro) this issue didn't happen.

Maybe instead of whining about it we could ask if it's an actual problem, or are people just lazy. ;)

Obviously its "an actual problem" if more than couple of people are having the same issue. And if some goto a length to sell their computer because of the comfort issue (which I even thought about doing before Apple decided to let me upgrade) Its a BIG ISSUE! What I can't believe is that people don't understand that this could of very easily fixed by Apple during production.. Like any big corporation, they short cut to save few pennies per unit..

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
Herblenny said:
Well, the problem could be because of many different factors (hand size, location of the computer, typing techniques, etc)... But ultimately its comes down to design.. Good design (like ALL other Apple Laptops and MacBook Pro) this issue didn't happen.

I don't have huge hands, but I have very long fingers and as I said, I can rest my hands on the edge of the MacBook with no discomfort – other people are resting their hands in the same place and yet somehow they have discomfort. So it's not Apple's design – it's people either having bad habits (which you can't blame on Apple) or they're trying to find an issue no matter how minor. That guy with marks on his wrists? I have to press my wrists into the MacBook to get even close to that.

Herblenny said:
Obviously its "an actual problem" if more than couple of people are having the same issue. And if some goto a length to sell their computer because of the comfort issue (which I even thought about doing before Apple decided to let me upgrade) Its a BIG ISSUE! What I can't believe is that people don't understand that this could of very easily fixed by Apple during production.. Like any big corporation, they short cut to save few pennies per unit..

No, it's not an actual problem, it's a perceived problem. They're not the same thing. And for those who are selling their laptops, I'm sorry if I sound rude, but that seems really childish. Use an external keyboard or get better typing habits. It's a small issue, which is being blown out of proportion just like the MacBook heat was.

To save a few pennies? Prove it.

Monk Edsel

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2004
I'm going to have to side with the camp that says resting your wrists on the edge of the laptop is bad posture, and will eventually give you carpal tunnel syndrome if you keep doing it, so you shouldn't be resting your wrists there anyway.

Herblenny

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2006
I posted on the Apple discussion board with a pic few days ago and now Apple have taken my post off.

Oh, well.. I guess they thought it was "useless" thread and took it off.

At least I'll be getting a Macbook pro that I'll be more comfortable using.

dmelgar

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
I also have razor sharp edges on my Macbook. Its worse than a sharp edge. Its reminiscent of molded plastic, where a seam comes together and forms an edge. It feels like my edge has a sharp raised piece. Its so sharp that when I first got it, I tried filing it down with a pen, and it was shaving plastic off of the pen instead.

I also have a squeaky "A" key and my macbook has recently decided to moo incessantly. Other than that, its a great machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.