Macbook showing: plugged in not charging

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by mcfinch, Dec 28, 2010.

1. mcfinch macrumors member

I just installed windows 7 on my macbook with bootcamp and when I run it on just the battery it says "plugged in not charging" how can I fix this problem?

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Did you install the Boot Camp drivers? Is it charging but just not displaying that it is?

B

3. mcfinch thread starter macrumors member

It charges fine but when I start up the computer without it being plugged in it states that it is plugged in.

4. FaxData macrumors newbie

Hi, I was wondering if you ever had a solution to this? (sorry to necropost)

I'm having the same issue. I just installed windows 7 (32-bit SP1) on my Macbook1,1 using bootcamp and installed bootcamp 3 via the SL disc (then upgraded to 3.3 via apple update). The battery drain is pretty fast and the computer thinks it's plugged in at bootup. Interestingly if it's actually plugged in and I unplug it - or if I put it to sleep and then wake it back up, then it'll switch to battery mode. (and if I do the latter, I don't have aero graphics anymore - bizarre)

Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks!

5. Henk Poley macrumors regular

There's a bug in the power management description (DSDT). It maintains a copy of the power state of the embedded controller (charging or not) but only updates it when it changes. Right after boot it doesn't change by itself, of course.

For MacBook1,1 I've described the DSDT patches here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1731382

Might be needed for newer macbooks too, pretty certain MacBook2,1 has the same bug.