MacBook shutdown on battery drain

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by aswine, Jul 21, 2009.

1. aswine macrumors newbie

My MacBook shuts down when the battery drains all the way down. I'm pretty sure back in the days of PPC lappies, they went to sleep before the battery died. Is it supposed to shut down, or is something goofed?

2. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I don't know about you, but when there's no more power, the computer usually turns off. Maybe back in the day we had magic warlocks powering our computers...

Seriously, if you drained your battery *completely* the MacBook will shut down. Usually, the battery will show up as 0% but actually have a little more juice for backup purposes. Don't force it to use it all up, it will mess with your battery.

3. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

I've never tried this out, but according to this apple support page about calibrating your battery, it appears it would go to sleep.

4. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

My MBP has always gone to sleep when the battery's drained, when I charge it and boot it up next time it shows the grey Apple logo with a progress bar underneath, when it's done loading everything is exactly how I left it before the battery died.

5. aswine thread starter macrumors newbie