Macbook Shutdown when AC adaptor disconnected

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by tadmore, Mar 2, 2011.

1. tadmore macrumors newbie

My wife has a 13" white Macbook on its second battery that is about a year old. Just recently it developed a problem in that it won't run on the battery, even when it is supposedly 100% charged. In checking that out I note several wierd things:
    1) The battery charge indicator on the battery only shows 1 light
    2) I downloaded a program called Battery Health Monitor - the statistics it gives for the battery are:
    Original capacity 4400mAh
    Current capacity 65,189mAh (1482%)
    Current charge 100% (65,189mAh)
    Charge Cycles 27% (107)

The only major change to the setup of the computer was that I replaced the keyboard/trackpad as the trackpad was malfunctioning. I purchased a replacement on eBay. Although the Macbook worked fine for a while with the new keyboard, could that possibly have any impact on this battery problem?

Any suggestions or help will be most welcome.

2. simsaladimbamba

Have you calibrated the battery yet?
    Btw, my iBook shows some similar figures, that it now has four or five times the original capacity, but it can only hold a charge for around 30 minutes. It seems the battery is shot. Is it an original Apple battery or a third party battery?

3. tadmore thread starter macrumors newbie

It is a third party battery :(

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's why I always recommend buying only Apple batteries. I don't trust any 3rd party batteries. Have you reset the SMC? Instructions are in the post that simsaladimbamba posted, in the section called CHARGING.