Macbook shutdowns suddenly when playing a game (Heroes of the Storm)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by VillalobosChamp, Apr 20, 2017.

1. VillalobosChamp, Apr 20, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2017

VillalobosChamp macrumors newbie

Hello again.

Today I got a problem on my computer while playing Heroes of the Storm, or I would say not playing. Because as soon as I play the game (Try Mode) the Macbook suddenly shuts down after merely minutes of opening the application.

I blame this to my faulty battery, and I do think this could happen with other heavy-load tasks.
    The only evidences I have this should happen is that the fan went over 2.6K RPM and 70ºC

I have this theory:
    - Game runs normally for some minutes, when I play a match the computer tries to drain some energy from the battery to lower the impact to the computer.

- Since said battery is dead, unable to hold charge, the computer preemptively shuts down in order to prevent any damage the energetic impact of HotS could cause

Since I can't afford a battery in short-term, my solution has to be stop playing HotS until I get a newer battery.

But I posted my question here since I need to know if anything else could cause this behavior.
    I don't want to make further stress tests, since I'm afraid I could damage irremediably my computer

P.S. Macbook model at my signature

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

You are right at the minimum requirements for that game, your computer is 7 years old. I'd imagine its overheating and shutting down. You can clean out any dust and replace the thermal paste this may get you a bit longer before it overheats but basically you are at the limits of your old computer.

Also the charger does not cover all the power needs of the computer running at full tilt as you mentioned and without that extra power from the battery it won't be able to run as it needs to. If you want to game in any decent way for more modern games you have to keep your hardware up to date.

3. jerryk macrumors 68020

Quite frankly I would never use the system with a bad battery. The battery can swell and go into thermal runaway. Look at the videos of burning cell phones like the Galaxy Note 7 and multiple times 4 because your battery is much bigger.