Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

northy124

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
Hey guys,

My MacBook has started shutting down without warning, the first time it did it I was like OK low power not much to worry about as I wasn't doing anything worth getting stressed about due to shut down but now it has happened 3 times since all 3 times I was working on documents for College to which I lost a couple of paragraphs each document I was working on (and yes I do save but not after every word).

The strange thing to me is that it only happens when not connected to power but still has 50%+ charge left.

Does anyone know of a way to diagnose it without phoning Apple (as there customer care sucks).

Thanks for help in advance.

Northy

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2003
West Coast
Know someone else with a MacBook?

If so, borrow their battery and see how it works with that... it could be as simple as faulty battery.

northy124

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
Unfortunately I don't, only other person I know with a Mac has an iMac & MacBook Pro (which wouldn't fit right?)

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2003
West Coast
Incorrect reading?

Yes, not really a 50% charge.

I've seen batteries (as a matter of fact, MacBook ones) that steadily go down from 100% to 50% and then -BAM! - zero.

Does this happen to be one of the 1st or 2nd gen white or black MacBooks (from, say, 2006 or early 2007)?

dmmcintyre3

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2007
My iBook's battery would cut the computer off when it had about half left. it would run down to zero cut off. Cut it back on and it was at 75% and lasted as long as 75% would before. Then it would cut off and never finish booting if you turned it back on.

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2003
West Coast
Yeah, I think it's a bad battery.

Some of those are even replaced free of charge from Apple.

I'd just call them and they'll walk you through opening system profiler and checking the cycle count of the battery. They should be able to tell from that and may even send you a free one.

Otherwise, you can just buy a battery online.

It sound 99% certain that's your issue.

northy124

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
It has 288 cycles (that isn't a lot is it?), I know how to use most of Apples stuff already and don't need a walkthrough.

I doubt I'll get anything free of charge from them, my charger melted once (2 days after warranty went out) burning my bed covers and part of the bed it's self and they said not our problem you have to buy a new one, I was like well **** you, you stupid ****:rolleyes: I found out yesterday I could of sued them or taken it up with some Gov. agency in the UK and they will take care of it:mad::mad:.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.