Macbook shuts down suddenly

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Singlish, Mar 19, 2010.

1. Singlish macrumors newbie

This started about 2 days ago, there was no apparent signs of such a thing going to happen.

My MacBook suddenly shuts down in the middle of my work. Shut down as in a sudden shut down, as if the battery was removed. There is no shutdown process, the whole screen just goes black. I've realized that this happens more recently when watching youtube videos, playing flash games etc.

Example : Computer dies in 10 minutes when watching videos/playing games.
    Computer dies in a few hours or NEVER when just typing, surfing.

It doesn't seem to be a battery problem. I've removed the battery and had my Macbook run on the Charger before, and it still died on me...

Battery Information:
    Battery Installed: Yes
    First low level warning: No
    Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 4390
    Remaining Capacity (mAh): 2128
    Amperage (mA): -1720
    Voltage (mV): 11081
    Cycle Count: 495

Mac OSX 10.4.11
    1.83 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    1.25GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
    I run bootcamp, same problem on my other operating system

Hardware Overview:
    Model Name: MacBook
    Model Identifier: MacBook2,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 1.83 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache (per processor): 2 MB
    Memory: 1.25 GB
    Bus Speed: 667 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: MB21.00A5.B07
    SMC Version: 1.13f3
    Serial Number: 4H7110U8WGK
    Sudden Motion Sensor:
    State: Enabled

2. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

You computer is most likely overheating. Using flash and other CPU intensive processes creates a lot more heat.

Do you think you could provide us with temperature readings for your computer? I'm not sure if there's a log of temperatures that you can back check, but if you install the dashboard element iStat pro, it will show you temperatures and the like.

[​IMG]

3. Singlish thread starter macrumors newbie

I have iStart Nano, and i think you may be right...

The fans section of it (Just discovered)
    [​IMG]

The temp doing normal work (this forum, research and uploading images of iStartNano)
    [​IMG]

I've also found a software called "Fan control 1.2" while capturing images, developed by Lobotomo Software. It doesn't work.

I've also found another forum post on another site, where the user had the same problem, took apart his macbook and found something stopping the fans from turning, i'll do the same, hopefully it'll fix the problem instead of making it worse...

:apple:Yay Google

Thank you for the help so far. If the disassembly does not work, i'll monitor the temperatures and post it here.

4. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

Yeah...that's really, really hot. Very damaging too, I'd cease usage of the computer until you can rectify the fan issue. Either that or buy one of those fan stands.

5. Buzz Bumble Guest

It may not be of any help, but I helped someone this week with a MacBook that kept going off (instant off, no shutdown). The usable time varied, but on average became less and less, sometimes to the point of not even booting. I took it in to the Apple repair centre and they fixed it quickly saying it was a Firmware / software issue and that they had updated it (which also altered some settings like screen resolution).

6. Singlish thread starter macrumors newbie

Mine's definitely something with the fan. Since my Macbook is not under warranty anymore, and lack of budget, i'm going to attempt to take it apart to check the fans, to see if anything got it stuck. For safety, i'll have to wait for my brother to help me out a little. Meanwhile, i made myself a makeshift external fan stand thingies. I live in the tropical zone, so my Macbook temperature range really seems quite okay to me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]