MacBook shuts down unexpectedly, even after replacing with a new hard drive

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by sivanesh, Jul 3, 2013.

1. sivanesh macrumors newbie

Hey guys

I am using a refurbished Macbook purchased in late 2011, its running on Mac OS-X version 10.6.8.
    I had to change my laptop's old hard drive to a new one after I experienced the 'grey screen of death' two weeks ago. I also bought a new battery for my laptop as the old one was starting to go bad.

Even after that, I am experiencing random shutdowns. This happens only when there is high performance involved - when browsing the Internet and I have a lot of Safari tabs open, or when I am transferring files from my portable hard disk drive.

Any suggestions?

2. cgk.emu macrumors 6502

It's overheating.

3. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

Do you have Applecare? If so, take it to the Apple Store so they can fix it.

4. madmacfan macrumors 6502

It certainly sounds like an overheating problem to me, so I would definetely consider changing the thermal compound on the heatsink with something like AS5. If you're still covered under Applecare then take it to the Genius bar and see what they can do, but if not, There are plenty of guides on ifixit if you fancy having a go yourself.

5. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Before replacing thermal compound - a couple less invasive steps to consider / try. It could be as simple as dust clogging your heat exchanger fins.

Use canned or compressed air to blow out the exhaust vents - or a vacuum held up to them - in order to remove any built up dust.

Download SMC fan control - this will show you fan speeds and temperatures - it will also allow you to increase your fan speeds to help prevent this.

If those do not help - then the thermal compound step / service is likely next.