MacBook shutting down

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by chrisguk, Dec 2, 2012.

1. chrisguk macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a MacBook A1181 with the removable battery type.

The symtoms:

I plug the AC adapter in and turn on the Notebook. All works fine.
    I take out the AC adapter and the screen dims as desired.
    About 10 mins later the Notebook shuts down.
    With the AC "unplugged" I try to switch it back on but it doesnt

Diagnostics:

I check the all the connectors to the battery for corrosion etc. All look perfectly fine.

Used statpro to check battery etc: 100% indicated.

I pressed the battery life indicator on the bottom of the battery "All green"

Has anyone come across this issue before and do you think the Battery is the problem?

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Seems like a bad battery to me, you can check how fast it discharges by looking in the menu bar, start with 100% full battery and unplug, see how long it takes to run down to when it shuts off.

3. iAll macrumors member

If you go into the "about this Mac" under the Apple menu and look for more info, you'll see power. Laptops will display battery condition and number of charge cycles. It will probably recommend here for you to replace the battery.
    Good luck

4. chrisguk thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi thanks for the advice, this is what it shows:

Battery information:

Battery installed: Yes
    First low level warning: No
    Full charge capacity: 65024
    Remaining Capacity : 65024
    Amperage: (mA): 1652
    Voltage (mV): 11773
    Cycle count: 428

Does that lot mean anything to you?

5. iAll, Dec 3, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2012

iAll macrumors member

It is seeing your battery, is there a line that tells you it is charging? What OS are you using?
    It appears that your battery has had 428 charging cycles (charged, discharged, charged, etc. "a lot") your charger is only putting out slightly more than 1.6 amps.@ 11.7v (shouldn't these use a 2.5a charger?), but the battery is fully charged at capacity for moment @ 65 Ah, so maybe the charger has dropped down a bit.

Unplug the charger while on your above screen and see what happens to the numbers..

As soon as you disconnect the charger it dies? An educated guess would tell me the battery is probably toast or shorted. Do you have a friend with a like laptop battery you could try?