Macbook shutting off when unplugged

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by macdoodle, Feb 16, 2010.

1. macdoodle macrumors newbie

My Macbook shuts off immediately when unplugged and will not start up unless it's plugged in. This just started last night...I was using it while it was charging and then unplugged it when it got to 100%, and it immediately shut off. Prior to this, it seemed to be charging and running fine. It also runs fine plugged in.

I did some searching and tried some of the suggestions I found...shutting down, taking the battery out, holding down the power button for 5 secs, and replacing the battery...making sure the connectors were clean, downloading battery update, etc. Nothing helped. I also read an article about how the lithium polymer batteries will just quit suddenly like that instead of running down gradually. So I'm hoping all I need is to buy a new battery...

But my question is this: Since the system profiler shows the battery health is "good," does this indicate something else is the problem? Or will it still show it's good after it completely dies?

Here are the stats according to System Profiler:
    Charge Information:
    Charge remaining (mAh): 3955
    Fully charged: Yes
    Charging: No
    Full charge capacity (mAh): 3956
    Health Information:
    Cycle count: 1047
    Condition: Good
    Battery Installed: Yes
    Amperage (mA): 0
    Voltage (mV): 12526

And according to Coconut Battery:
    Current battery charge: 3955
    Maximum battery charge: 3956
    99%
    Current battery capacity: 3956
    Original battery capacity: 5020
    78%
    Battery loadcycles: 1047
    Age of your Mac: 39 months
    Charger connected: Yes
    Battery is charging: No

I am just now learning about these things, so apparently 1047 cycles is a good life for the battery. I just want to know that this is the only problem so I can order a battery and be done with it. Wish I could run it over to the Apple store and have them check it, but it's an hour and a half away, so if I do that, it'll have to be later in the week or next week. Naturally, I don't want to be patient and wait. :rolleyes:

2. adamlane93 macrumors newbie

hello, sorry to hear about your problem but it should be easily fixed.

this happened on my old macbook so i simply took it to the apple store and they just had a quick look and then replaced the battery free of charge. I didn't have apple care and i was out of warranty so you should be fine.

Good luck :)