Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gretschdrummer

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2011
Hi, this just started happening yesterday. Whenever I watch a Netflix or a Youtube video now, the audio skips then does this really weird clicking noise (through my headphones). I haven't had this problem before. I've literally watched hours of videos with no problem. I am not even watching them in high quality. I've tried resetting the SMC, but that didn't help.

Macbook
2 GHz Intel Core Duo
1 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

gretschdrummer

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2011
I mainly use Chrome, but Safari also does the same thing. I created a temporary account, and the same thing happens.

Vandalist

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2012
Does the audio warp even after you pause and play it again? Video stutter?

If so, a quick fix can be simply plugging in the headphones again. If you've noticed the fans going full speed, and the bottom of the laptop (right under where the fans are, middle) are blaring hot, install iStat menu, or SMCfan control. I had a similar problem, and it was due to this giant dust glob lodged in my fan blocking all the air.

gretschdrummer

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2011
Does the audio warp even after you pause and play it again? Video stutter?

If so, a quick fix can be simply plugging in the headphones again. If you've noticed the fans going full speed, and the bottom of the laptop (right under where the fans are, middle) are blaring hot, install iStat menu, or SMCfan control. I had a similar problem, and it was due to this giant dust glob lodged in my fan blocking all the air.

Wow! I downloaded SMCfancontrol and put it at the highest setting. It works like a charm now! Also, my computer isn't hot anymore... Thanks for the tip!

Vandalist

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2012
While this is a workaround, it puts unnecessary strain on your fans. What you should really do is open up your computer and remove the offending globule of dust. It's rather hard, but it will save your fans in the long run. The reason I asked you to install SMC fan control was because I wanted to know how hot your CPU was getting, lol. That, or overload in the heatsink would have caused the issues. (Which isn't the heatsink's fault, it's the dust globule)

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing-MacBook-Core-2-Duo-Fan/522/1

Follow the guide, remove the big felt mass, then just put the same fan back, follow it backwards. It took me an hour, and that was the first time I ever opened my computer. Trust me, it's worth it.

Here's how I found the fix.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2355284?start=0&tstart=0

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.