Macbook Sleep and Battery Problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DagoFlip, Feb 7, 2008.

1. DagoFlip macrumors newbie

Hello, I just got a brand new Macbook for Christmas. Lately it has been showing a black "X" in the battery bar. It started off by switching back and forth very quickly from the "X" to the correct percentage, back and forth, back and forth. But now, it doesnt even work without the power adapter hooked up to it. Unless I am at 100%, then I can take the power adapter out until it reaches about 70% and starts sleeping when im in the middle of doing stuff on it. And at about 50% it will just completely sleep so you can't wake it unless the power adapter is attached. My Macbook has basically become a desktop =[

Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Thank You!!

2. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Remove the battery and let it sit for a little. Make sure the computer is off. Reboot it and see what happens. Make sure it is fit. Look for any defects in the battery (casing coming off, deforms or whatever). Install all updates and if that doesnt work, call AppleCare.

3. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

1. Remove the battery.
    2. Hold down the power button for 5 seconds to reset the SMC.
    3. Put the battery back into the computer.
    4. Reset the PRAM by holding down Command-Option-P-R on boot and wait for it to chime 3 times.

Also, I'd recommend calibrating the battery by getting it up to 100% charge if possible and then take it off of the AC power until the message pops up stating that your computer is running on reserve power, let it run through until it goes to sleep or shut it off, and then plug it back in and turn it back on.

If this doesn't resolve it, you may have a bad battery, I'd recommend contacting Apple in such a case.

4. DagoFlip thread starter macrumors newbie

I did these things but to no avail
    The first thing I did was reset the SMC (does this have any relation to smc fan control, because i have that) and when the comp booted up my "Pics" folder on my desktop was renamed "NOOO" for some VERY strange reason

I tried holding command option P R for three chimes but the chimes went in RAPID succession as in I couldnt stop it right at three...i went over. Although it really wasnt a chime....it was more of rapid "beeps"